School me on 80% lowers

Originally Posted By: bobeanoA local gunsmith here says he can put sn on them,finish them and sell them with paper work

that sounds like a good way to get a not so friendly visit from part of the alphabet re his licensing. unless he's already a licensed manufacturing ffl along with his regular retail license.

as i understand it - a ffl can take them in from a customer, serialize them, log them in his books as a new incoming, and then retail them - but i dont believe the standard FFL can actually mill/finish and then serialize/sell them without being counted as a MFG.

You definitely need a manufacturing lic to finish and sell a 80% and it must have a serial number. A FFL/gunsmith can repair a FINISHED 80% firearm.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootA FFL/gunsmith can repair a FINISHED 80% firearm.

around here they will repair/mod them (replace triggers, or do work to uppers attached to them)
but they will *not* keep them in house overnight. buddy tried to drop his 350L off to have something done with the optic, and the FFL made him leave the upper and take the lower home with him.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootYou definitely need a manufacturing lic to finish and sell a 80% and it must have a serial number. A FFL/gunsmith can repair a FINISHED 80% firearm.

Yes they do have a Mfg lic

Back