Accuracy question

pyscodog

If you had a rifle with a aftermarket barrel chambered in 6 Creedmoor, and it was just a mediocre shooting barrel then rechambered it to 6mmAI, would it probably still be a mediocre barrel? Its still a 6mm but with a little more horse power. Maybe a dumb question, IDK?

I built the rifle to shoot heavy bullets and from the testing I've done, it doesn't like the heavier bullets. Shoots 87 grain V-max pretty good but anything much heavier, it goes crazy. I have brass and dies for the 6AI. But I gotta pay a smith. Just wondering if its worth it and if it might make a difference....for the better.

Last edited:
There's no magic in this stuff. If you rechamber that barrel to any 6mm and it all of a sudden starts shooting great there's only two practical reasons that would cause it. The chamber was done poorly when it was a 6CM or you haven't done a proper load work up for it in whatever bullet/s you're trying to shoot.

If you rechamber it to 6mm AI and it shoots better, same thing, it's either the chamber was done better or you found a load it likes. There is nothing inherently, more, accurate about one of those cartridges than the other.

There's also a chance that the rifle twist isn't the correct twist if it doesn't shoot the heavier bullets. Going to an 6mmAI won't help with that. Measure your twist.

And both of those ànswers are what I had in mind. Good luck. You might want to do some serious measuring of your brass before and after firing but then it would seem to shoot all poorly.

Its a 7.5 twist and Douglas did the work. I guess I'll keep searching for the right load. Mediocre may be as good as it gets.

I have shot barrels first for accuracy, before rechambering.

I would never rechamber hoping it would be better.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIts a 7.5 twist and Douglas did the work. I guess I'll keep searching for the right load. Mediocre may be as good as it gets.

Douglas barrels may not be the most popular barrel company but they make a good barrel and they aren't known for shoddy work so I'd say you most likely need to work on your load development.

FWIW, stabbing at different loads based on what you read or were told by someone else, typically, won't get you the best results. Sometimes people get lucky doing that but generally you won't see your best results with that method.

Originally Posted By: AWSCan I ask what you consider mediocre?

With several 103 grain pills I probably average 3/4-1 inch groups. With 87 grain 1/2-5/8" but with anything heavier than 103's well over an inch. I know 3/4" groups aren't bad maybe for a hunting rifle but this isn't a hunting rifle. I built it for heavy bullets and long range.

I'll be first to admit, I expect a lot from my rifles. I have bone stock factory rifles that shoot circles around this one. Even my old hunting rifle shoots way better and its made from parts I had laying around. Maybe its just not broke in yet. I keep telling myself this. Maybe I just haven't found the "right" bullet. But with empty shelves its tough. I haven't given up yet, just a little disappointed in it at this time. Last night looking through all my dies I thought about maybe a rechamber might be a cure.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
Last night looking through all my dies I thought about maybe a rechamber might be a cure.

Come on now, think about that a little and you'll answer your own question.

Assuming Douglas really did do the work, not just what you were told by whoever you bought it from used, it's not likely a chamber issue so why would you think rechambering it to something else would cure anything?

Heavy for caliber high BC bullets typically have a more aggressive profile which tends to make them more seating depth sensitive.

And you have checked the twist of the barrel yourself.

I once had a factory Savage 99 in 250 that was suppose to be a 1-14 but shot 87 loosely but would stack 75s one on top of the other. Upon checking it was 1-15. It can happen in even factory barrels.

I don’t know how deep into it you are at this point but sounds a little soon to throw in the towel and look into re-chambering it. My father in law shoots factory Hornady Precision Hunter 103s in his and it is crazy accurate. His rifle is a factory Browning, not sure the twist rate. The component shortages don’t help in trying out a variety of load combos and configurations.

Haven't given up. Just not sure what to try next but have a pretty good selection of bullets. My thought on rechambering was some bullets seem to work better at faster velocities and thought maybe the 6AI would push them faster. After a little more reading the 6CM and the 6AI aren't to far apart velocity wise so it probably wouldn't made a difference anyway. Wasted money.

I would double check the twist yourself and make sure that it is a 1:75 cause it wouldn't be the 1st time I had a barrel that wasn't what it was labeled. I have a 6XC that shoots the 105 bergers smashingly and it was a 1:8 twist krieger barrel. But it is 28in and is my long range fun gun. It is so dang heavy that even at 100yds you can spot your hits on ground squirrels.

Back