Started Coyote Season Last Night

6mm06

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer, so I opened my coyote season slightly early. I generally begin my self-imposed season around the last week of August or first of September. I have been watching a couple of coyotes this summer and finally decided to begin. I squeezed the trigger at 0147 this morning. It was a young male, nervous and took his time to commit to the bait. I watched him for a while before taking the shot.

I used the Ruger American Predator 6mm Remington rifle once again, and with the ATN 4k Pro 3-14 digital. Distance was the usual 60 yards. The 55 gr. Blitz King at 3720 fps dropped him like a rock, as did the other times I used this bullet. There was no exit.

Here he is in trail camera photos a few nights before.

52273259391_4cee97b8c9_z.jpg

52273749065_ca771f600c_z.jpg

52273210748_15ca951c44_b.jpg

52273450844_70ee9daae7_b.jpg

There was no exit from the 55 Blitz King.

52273211528_53b7df2751_b.jpg

52272217787_920f5a2d1f_b.jpg

52273211518_300ff5fe40_b.jpg

51468986440_446f3ca992_b.jpg

Alf, you're showing your age now. I recently said something to someone in their mid-50's about Arthur Godrey's yacht having been moored here once. Their reply was who is Arthur Godfrey.

Alf, I like your checkered suit !! He he.

Wolverines, I keep the bait site going year-round. I don’t bait as heavy in the summer months when I’m not hunting, but I do keep it going since coyotes visit in the summer. My goal is to always have bait for when one shows up. The biggest problem is buzzard, crow and possum bait thieves.

I started using a 2" trappers auger for baiting areas. If you don't the birds will clean it up in a day. Stuff the hole with meat, bones and fryer grease, then kick a little dirt over it.

To get it all they have to dig and I can tell if a coyote is around without a camera going.

I also test baits and lures this way.

Congrats on the start of the season. It appears you really enjoy the time in your hunting setup. Good times are priceless, so keep enjoying.

Softpoint, good idea.

Korey, the “La Coyote Inn” is more than just a hunting shack as you know. It’s also a quiet place for some solitude, reflection, prayer and even a little TV. The night’s feature was “The Outlaw Josey Wales.” As a friend mentioned recently, it’s against the law to watch that movie more than once a year. Makes you want to go shoot something up. The solar system has really added to the experience down there. Getting a coyote is just icing on the cake.

CONGRATS on a fine start to your season. I sure hope you have a productive year cause I know you will share with us. One down, many more to follow.

Originally Posted By: bcturkeynut……Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.
Yep, that’s what Josey Wales said. Those two backwoods scalawags sure found that out.

Congrats, I'm jonesing to get out there also. The crazy heat this summer sure isn't very motivating though.

Josey Wales is maybe my all time favorite movie.

They refused to whistle, and weren’t very good at pulling triggers. Ah, all this talk is making me want to watch it again. I know, there should be a law against it.

Back