Capybara in the US

pyscodog

Field and Stream post an article on Face Book about an Illinois bow fisherman shooting and killing a Capybara. Basically a 100 pound groundhog. Seems the came from South America but are now in the US. All the info I have read on the net is they aren't really a problem yet and they are in several states. I just asked "Why" he killed it? Of course I was roasted but that was expected. I heard I know nothing about ecology and evasive species, yada yada yada, they don't belong here. I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot one if the wildlife dept says they are becoming a problem and need thinned out, but until then, probably just watch it and let it live. I've never been one to kill just for the sake of killing aside from coyotes and hogs. Maybe a few turtles now and then. LOL!

Any of you seen them in your areas? Did you kill it?

Prolly wasn’t a capybara but a nutria, which don’t get to a 100 lbs but still get pretty big. They have them in the south and south east plus up in the northwest. They’re a big pest and eat the crap out of vegetation so it’s good he killed it. 100 lb nutria is like the 60 lb coyote

Originally Posted By: duck what kind of sound would it take to call one of them puppys in
And after ya called 'em in, what's the recipe for cooking??

Originally Posted By: pyscodogField and Stream post an article on Face Book about an Illinois bow fisherman shooting and killing a Capybara. Basically a 100 pound groundhog. Seems the came from South America but are now in the US. All the info I have read on the net is they aren't really a problem yet and they are in several states. I just asked "Why" he killed it? Of course I was roasted but that was expected. I heard I know nothing about ecology and evasive species, yada yada yada, they don't belong here. I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot one if the wildlife dept says they are becoming a problem and need thinned out, but until then, probably just watch it and let it live. I've never been one to kill just for the sake of killing aside from coyotes and hogs. Maybe a few turtles now and then. LOL!

Any of you seen them in your areas? Did you kill it?

They aren't a problem yet because they aren't here in sufficient numbers to be a problem. Did you read the article? It clearly states that the overgrown rats would be a big problem if they become established in the US in numbers. I'd shoot the chit outta them and sleep like a baby that night knowing I had done something positive for the ecosystem.

It was probably a pet that was released (or escaped) when it got to full size. They are available AS PETS all over the country. Babies sell for about $500-$800 each.

Back