6BR primers

shelton573

I am going to do some test loads with my 6br with 75 gr and 87 gr vmax for shooting prairie dogs. The two primers I have in hand are CCI 450 and BR4. What primer do you all prefer in your BR between the two? Thanks in advance!

The correct answer would be which ever your gun prefers.

Generally, depending on use, if I plan on shooting a certain gun(s) quite a bit, I'll test with the primer that I have the most of first.

Generally primers have a very minor part in group size(.1 or .2 @ 100 yards). This is important for your agg. score, but not really a factor in the field. Both primers have a thick cup,so temp pressure changes won't blow out a primer. Currently 450's are cheaper/more available. I use them frequently in bolt guns instead of my preferred Rem 7.5, sometimes with no chronograph or group/poi shift.

The 6BR is a fine choice for prairie dog hunting.
thumbup1.gif
The 6BR has been one of my main pd guns for 15 years. I've always used Rem 7 1/2 because that's what I had available at the time. The 7 1/2's have always pleased me. OTOH, like many, I've had to switch some established loads to a different primer due to unavailability of the established primer. Give your choice, I'd first start w/ BR4. I bought #400 CCI 450 last weekend as they were the only SR primer available. At some point, I'm going to do an experiment by substituting the 450 in place of an established primer.

My neighbor was very nice to me yesterday, said a relative wanted to get rid of some reloading "junk". He brought a box over, 1 large box of Berry's 158 plated fn, 3 boxes 125 xtp, partial box 308 150 gr fn bullets, 5 100 ct storage boxes of 357 38 sp brass. 500 Fed/CCI spp, 700+ BR4/450's, 300 BR2. My cost, neighbor goes to the range with me occasionally and I hand him ammo to practice with(38/357). And I gave him a tin of 5mm pellets for his air rifle. Cleaned and loaded some test plinking 357 ammo with the Berry's since I have never loaded a plated bullet, used a light roll crimp. Will shoot at a piece of paper at 20', see if any plating comes off.

Back