OK I'm looking for a 4 wheeler, can anyone help?

jetman

As I get older I sure think to myself I want a 4wheeler.
I have my "mud dog" But that can only haul one person and only 18 MPH, LOTS of fun but...
If I had a 4wheeler the GD could drive it behind me, pick up my broken pieces and tow the dog to the truck.
I have a trailer for one and Ramps to put either one in the truck. Also for longer treks with the boy and his wife, they have two.

SO

I like their honda rancher it fits in the back of my truck with the tailgate closed.
I'm thinking I need like a 450/ 500 cc, 4-wheel drive, and elec shift.
I'm open to most brands 'cept the Korean stuff. I need in good condition, fair tires, prefer a winch.
2007 ish to now but I can't do new price, maybe $2500 tops ish.
In Montana would be the best but ID, ND, Wy maybe.

Can anyone give me a lead?

Last edited:
Your choice of a Honda Rancher 420 w/ elec. shift is what I bought last year, late model 2007 came with fuel injection, which is a plus , in my opinion. I lucked out as it came with Warn winch on front, 2 rifle racks and full set of what I call saddle bags. Bought from original owner with very low hours. He wanted to get rid of it and at my age I wanted it as it really extended my hunting time. Can't go wrong with Honda products!

Thats a tight budget! but you may find a older (90's) model Honda for that. I have a 91" that is in excellent condition, but it was my fathers & was rode very little + garage kept. Don't come across those every day! but they are out there.

we have a couple older (2001) honda rancher 350's and they're awesome little utility machines.

the one thing i will say about the 4x4 - its only real flaw is how much harder it is to turn than the 2wd model, and the wider turning radius

otherwise you gotta really do something impressive to get it stuck. i've tried lol.

managed to high center it once, on a submerged stump, back in the swamp. kneeling on the seat so i didnt get water insie my muck boots. still managed to rock it free with a bit of persuasion.

we had a plow carrier made for it too, for a small poly garden tractor type plow. it kicks butt as a small plow machine. d@mn impressive.

Like Plant One said, the 4x4 are tough steering unless you get a newer model with power steering. I usually always hunt heave wooded areas for deer and liked the smaller ATV's. I am not a great big guy so a 250 or 300CC usually gets me around pretty good and enough power to drag a deer and gear out. They also get through heavy timber better as well. Some are so big these days they won't fit in the bed of a truck. Finding a good used one is tough around here. Most have had the crap rode out of them.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogLike Plant One said, the 4x4 are tough steering unless you get a newer model with power steering. I usually always hunt heave wooded areas for deer and liked the smaller ATV's. I am not a great big guy so a 250 or 300CC usually gets me around pretty good and enough power to drag a deer and gear out. They also get through heavy timber better as well. Some are so big these days they won't fit in the bed of a truck. Finding a good used one is tough around here. Most have had the crap rode out of them.

I've had a polaris sportsman 335 since 2001. I've had it haul 2-200+lb men and a whole cow elk at the same time one more than one occasion. It may not be the fastest but it can get the work done.
That being said, extra CC's don't hurt.

Here's me dragging a young bull years ago with the 335.

Back