Howa Mini action stock?

pyscodog

I like my little mini action Howa but not to crazy about the stock. Kinda resembles a Hogue without the rubber coating. Plastic and hollow sounding. I looked at Boyd's. Meh! Last resort! Also looked at Manners. Hate to put $800 in a $500 rifle. Also looked at a couple of chassis stocks. They seem to be the best option for the money. The Oryx is nice and then there is MDT but you have to add a butt stock which adds another couple hundred dollars. I also looked at B&C and seems the M40 is an option also. Although I not crazy about it either. I don't plan on customizing the rifle with a new barrel or other aftermarket parts. I'd just like a better stock. Hate being nit picky but if I don't like it it won't be around long. Suggestions?

The Oryx option would be a nice fit imo although just because the mini is affordable wouldn't necessarily deter me from spending more on a Manners. I think those actions perform above their price point but get what your saying.

Have you seen the Oryx hunter stocks soon to be released? They look interesting, more traditional style for a very affordable price. Looks like they are only coming out initially in standard short action. I'd suspect they will eventually offer it for the mini as Oryx seems paired with Howa. Doesn't help when you'd like a stock today though.

Last edited:
For varmints and paper where I'm shooting off of a bench the Boyds Thumbhole is a nice stock for that work but for hunting leaves a little to be desired. I use the factory stock with the barrel channel heavily opened up and for me shortened to fit.

lxw5tD.jpg

Last edited:
Just looked at the Oryx Field stock. I like that. Really like the vertical grip. Its not so much I don't like the factory stock as much as I like something different than everyone else. LOL! Maybe I'll just hang on a while and see what Oryx does.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogJust looked at the Oryx Field stock. I like that. Really like the vertical grip. Its not so much I don't like the factory stock as much as I like something different than everyone else. LOL! Maybe I'll just hang on a while and see what Oryx does.

I know you said you weren't to cracked up on the idea of a Boyd's but since you mentioned liking the vertical grip and you want something different than everyone else maybe order a Boyd's Pro Varmint in some crazy colored laminate.

I've got a couple Boyd's Pro Varmint models. The one on my Sav. Bmag is just textured black paint and is pretty basic but the one I put on my dad's Ruger 77/17 I ordered in their "coyote laminate" and also added their adjustable comb and it turned out really well and looks very nice.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog Hate being nit picky but if I don't like it it won't be around long.

nit picky or not, it won't be around long. it'll be gone before your next pair of new socks wear out. lol

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: pyscodog Hate being nit picky but if I don't like it it won't be around long.

nit picky or not, it won't be around long. it'll be gone before your next pair of new socks wear out. lol

LOL, you know me to well Slick!! But that's what I do. Buy,shoot then sell. I have a policy....Buy high and Sell cheap. Been doing it for years and it is a huge success. You should see my stash. Been stocking up for Wanamaker show this fall.

Being honest...mostly. My buy,sell and trades are about 99% impulse. Going to a gun show empty handed just doesn't seem American. So I grab something out of the safe. Then going home without one feels weird. Sometimes I bring home two. LOL!! It is a sickness but better than a dose of the clap and it gives an old man something to do.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogJust looked at the Oryx Field stock. I like that. Really like the vertical grip. Its not so much I don't like the factory stock as much as I like something different than everyone else. LOL! Maybe I'll just hang on a while and see what Oryx does.

Stock fit is a very personal preference, IMO. A vertical pistol grip is extremely important to me for a calling rifle. When forced to switch from the AR platform back to a bolt gun, I spent hours trying to find an aftermarket stock suitable to my style of shooting for my Savage scout. None seemed to fit the bill.

Fit being more important to me than finish, I decided to take the bull by the horns and make the factory stock fit my requirements. I have always been partial to a vertical pistol grip.

Making a Savage stock fit more like an AR

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Regards,
hm

Ordered the Oryx today. Just like the way it looks. Should be a vast improvement over the tupperware crap that comes on them from the factory.

I'm partial to the McMillan Hunters Edge. Sleek lightweight hunting stock. Have a few of them now. I started out with a Boydes and that's basically a 2x4 with a little whittling done on it.

I have no issues with Boyd stocks. For the money they are hard to beat. It just wasn't the direction I was going with this rifle. Didn't want to spend the money and the wait time for a McMillan either.

Back