Sierra .224 55 gr BK

spotstalkshoot

I got a good deal on these blitz kings, I'm considering trying them in my 18" 223 suppressed carbine has a 1/8 twist barrel. Anyone really like running these blitz kings for coyote? I'm not much of a fan of tipped bullets in AR rifles.

I suspect the tipped BKs are Sierra's answer to the V-max. Quite a few swear by the 53gr V-max for coyotes. I use the 60gr V-max in 16-22" barrels and all work well. I would not hesitate to work up a load and use them.

One of my hunting buddies who was putting up fur at that time really raved about how good they killed with almost no fur damage out of his 20" 8 twist .223 AR. He was shooting the Australian Outback loads.

Last edited:
I use a 50 bk in ar 15’s for a coyote load. The bk’s have a way thicker jacket than vmaxes. I would prefer nosler btips but for some reason when I turn up the throttle with the load they don’t shoot that great in any ar 15 I have tried them in. Including even in 6mm

It will be hard for the blitz kings to perform(fur wise) better than the Hornady 50 SX(in my 223's). The sx is super easy for load development, but I bought the BK as cheap as the SX bullets. The BK were very accurate out of my 22-250, so at worse they will be prairie dog terminators. With fur prices down I experiment with bullets, for the next jump in fur prices.

I'd be surprised if the 55 Bks didn't shoot well in your 18" 8T. They might not be the best fur bullet, but if you got a good deal on them who cares.

I loaded up some with H322. Thursday afternoon looks good, my BIL needs help with a schuetzen rifle he will use in an August competition, will be chronograph and testing for 200 yard bench shoot. So I will shot for group and speed thru a couple suppressors.

Last edited:
Ok these bullets shot extremely accurate, a 5 shot single hole group out of the 22-250(factory SS fluted new take off I purchased for 35.00 )36.5 gr of Varget 3640 fps av, Fed 210 Match primer.
The 223 AR load was about dime size(2 into same hole). CCI 450, free range brass,23 gr H322, seated to 2.240. Didn't chronograph this load, will verify the group a couple times first as I did with the 22-250. Either one will work great for prairie dogs. All powder charges should be worked up incrementally from starting charge weights.

Back