Remington 700 ADL or Ruger American?

For the last few months my local Rural King has had a Remington 700 ADL and a Ruger American Predator both in 6.5 CM for $479 and $469. The Remington has a Jeweled bolt which I found weird for an ADL and a 24" barrel. The Ruger has a 20" or could be 22" slightly thicker profile barrel and what looks like a cheap plastic flush mag. Both weigh about the same.

I have an extra Remington Trigger tech trigger so I decided to get the Remington but the Ruger was calling my name for some reason. After thinking about it I decided just to put it in lay-away and sleep on it. I have 2 other Remington's but no Rugers
I figured I would ask your opinions on here to see which you would get?
Thanks

Last edited:
Remington

You have a sweet trigger to put in it, plenty of stock options for upgrading later if desired. Most likely easier to re sale later if need be.

If you want a Ruger, get a 77. Much better quality than the American. Even though the new "budget" rifles shoot pretty good, there's just to much plastic for me. I recently bought a Howa with the mini action which they seem to be pretty hard to get right now. Its got a lot of plastic parts that I know will soon be replaced. But.....I wanted the mini action in 6.5 Grendel so I had to buy the plastic parts that came with it.

I have always been a Remington fan. With that said, my two experiences with the Ruger American have been very good. The first was a friend’s standard American in .308 that amazed me from the bench, and the other is a relatively new Predator model I got in 6mm Remington (special run). The .308’s accuracy was mainly what led me to purchase the 6mm. While the American may not be “classy” like a 700, it is no slouch in the accuracy department, in my experience anyway.

Here is another account posted recently:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...159#Post3301159

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootMuch easier to play with the 700,stocks,triggers,barrels,gunsmith services.

You can easily get all that with the Ruger American also. Barrels may not be as readily available but there are a few companies making them for the Ruger.

I'd take the Remington based on prior experience with 700s vs. none with the Ruger American. I know they do have a reputation for good accuracy for the price, but they just look/feel a little too cheap and plasticated (I made that word up just now) to suit me.

Back