Hot temperatures and thermal

cmatera

With the heat wave sweeping the nation, I started to wonder if thermals are effective. I live in the high desert of CO. The temps for the last 10 days has been 97-102 degrees Fahrenheit. Will thermal work for me at this time of year, or will I have to wait until midnight or after until things cool down to use it? I'm worried that with it being so hot, everything will show as hot ie everything will look like a big white blob if in white hot mode.

Day or night, thermal is impacted by heat because as you said many objects are displaying as warm. The warmer objects are, the more Infared Radiation they emit and are detected by thermal. If they are not absorbing direct sunlight, they will cool down quicker. It depends on the type of object. Rocks and bare ground heat up the fastest and seem to retain the heat a long time. Even if other objects are the same or similar color/temp, you will still be able to recognize the movement of the coyotes.

but ... at this temperature the thermal devices still work? Or is it more prudent not to use them?

X7e01GI.jpg

~ 106°F.... here in the center of Padua (Italy)

Last edited:
I have switched to black hot on my scope (Trail XP50 2 LRF) during this summer most of the time. Seems to give me a better image and a more defined target. Still scan in white hot.

Back