A New Beginning

DoubleUp

July has been marked by rain, heat, and high humidity so that coyotes calling was more of an ordeal than enjoyment. Yesterday was not an exception with temps at 92, late afternoon thunderstorms, and high humidity, but there was some cooling after the rain and a good breeze from the southwest. So, I decided to make my first stand of the new season.

Usually when I make this stand, I set up exactly on the end of the main field ditch so I can see down both sides. Since I was calling early before it was really completely dark, I elected to sit, but the grass was high on the ditch end, so I moved a few yards off the ditch. Had it been darker, I would have made this a standing setup.

This turned out to be a costly mistake. The field ditch had high enough growth that my view on one side was partially obscured by sitting, but the coyotes would have seen me if I had been standing. I knew I could still make the shot in the fairly low beans.

I called in a pair which came in hot, and on the opposite side of the ditch which kept me from seeing them until they were "danger close." I did manage to get the recorder on, stop the second coyote, and make a good kill shot on him. I narrowly missed the female or just scratched her across the back end as she was going away. It was all reaction actually, but even had she stopped I don't think I could have seen her farther down the ditch. Here is the short video:

You didn't give the coyotes much of a break. Nice job on starting the year our right. Great close footage and good shooting.

Thanks guys. To be fair, it was only 19 days between seasons so not much time to get rusty. I was satisfied with the shooting even though I didn't get the double. It's the little things like not making the right decision on setting up at the end of the ditch bank which ultimately lead to success or failure. I should have come away with a double rather than just the single.

Just now getting around to seeing the video. That was very good footage, close too. There was something “white” that flew out to the right on the second coyote. Not sure if she kicked something up while running or what that was.

Thanks 06, I couldn't tell whether I just lightly scratched her across the back end or she was kicking up stuff off the field. Anyway, she lived to die another day.

Back