Rules of thumb

1oldcoyote

I suspect some of you long time coyote hunters have your own "rules of thumb". Rule of thumb to me, is an issue that is averaged out. From witnessing the same thing over & over again.

Take bullet drop & bullet drift for example. Over varying yardages & wind speeds/directions. From using your favorite coyote firearm/bullet.

Many yrs ago I happen to measure the shoulder height of a dead 40 lb male coyote. I positioned it's body on it's side on the bed of my truck. Then measured from the bottom of it's paws to the top of it's shoulder(fur compressed measurement). Which was 24". I also measured the deepest portion of it's chest. Which was 9". From what I recall, another measurement I took on that same coyote. Was from the front of it's chest to the end of it's rump(fur compressed). Which was 36" best I can recall now days.

I have used that rule of thumb on following coyotes. As I often shoot long range. It gives me a better perspective on hold over & lead. On long range shots.

Rule of thumb, If the only shot makes me hold off fur, it gets to live another day. My 6mm is a lazer to 300 yards no adjustment needed 'sept for wind. The Varmint '06 is good for 3 but needs to be held on the top of the shoulders. My 22/250 is around the same but that's MAX for me. Just saying

Last edited:
I set a 9-10" snare loop 9-10" off the ground or firm snow, I don't believe I'm making coyote drip their muzzle. I also go by about 5-6" height of chest kill zone, the middle 4" is best.

Back