Ruger No.1

soup

Gents,
Just wondering if anyone uses a Ruger No.1 for coyote hunting?
I just got a .243 Sporter and a .22-250 Varmint model so any help you can pass my way will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Semper Fi
Soup

Originally Posted By: soupGents,
Just wondering if anyone uses a Ruger No.1 for coyote hunting?
I just got a .243 Sporter and a .22-250 Varmint model so any help you can pass my way will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Semper Fi
Soup

What sort of help are you asking for?

Hey Soup-----I have a Ruger #1 old model 26" barrel {RED BUTT PLATE} and its a great shooter---I bought many White 40 Round boxes of Winchester 45gr HP Ammo and they shoot so well no need to reload. Dang rifle can shoot the eyes out of a Grasshopper at 300yds---NO BRAG JUST FACT----You'll love your 22-250-----"66----69" USMC "68" NAM---SEMPER FI

Last edited:
I shoot a #1 and have a friend as well who does. Practice makes perfect and we both have killed 4 coyotes at one stand. 220 swift.

Back in the day I shot one in 300 Win mag, I believe it was a Number 1B long barrel no sites. It shot well with anything 200gr and up I made my longest shot with it using 200 SGK. I'll tell you how long ago it I had a Lyman 10x non-Perma-center scope on it, sold it right after that and went back to sneaking up close that was a lot more fun..

Originally Posted By: SVBHey Soup-----I have a Ruger #1 old model 26" barrel {RED BUTT PLATE} and its a great shooter---I bought many White 40 Round boxes of Winchester 45gr HP Ammo and they shoot so well no need to reload. Dang rifle can shoot the eyes out of a Grasshopper at 300yds---NO BRAG JUST FACT----You'll love your 22-250-----"66----69" USMC "68" NAM---SEMPER FI

Pictures please.
smile.gif

I’d like to have one. Always thought they were a good looking rifle. I’d probably use it for groundhogs instead of coyotes just for the follow up deal. Like anything though, practicing and familiarity would go a long way.

I picked one up in .270 Weatherby about a year ago after wanting one since I was a kid. I would not have picked that caliber but I traded a Sig 2400 range finder straight across and got dies and components as well as 250 rounds of ammo. I had got an excellent deal on the range finder and felt it was a fair trade. They are beautiful to look at and although I intended to use it mostly for Elk I may have to haul it out calling for coyote one of these days.

I hunted ground hogs and deer with a 25-06 for several years. Antelope 275 yards, deer 250 Yards, ground hog 600 yards. Great shooter! Bought it new in 1979

See if you can find articles from Ross Seyfried on accurizing the No1. I used his method for bedding the forearm on my 22-250 Varminter and it would make nice ragged holes at 100. There’s also a hanger accurizer, but it requires a bit of work on the forearm.

Hanger Bracket

Back