Struggling with Yotes in the east

CooperVT20

I’m glad I found this forum. I’ve coyotes hunted here in NC for about 4 years now but find it extremely hard to call them in day or night. I usually kill 4-5 per year but that’s like 1 out of every 7-8 hunts. I normally hunt for a couple hours per evening as I’m not very good at staying up all night. I normally uses distress calls in winter and distress pup calls may-July. Can anyone share some points that work here in my area?

Thanks

Do you scout enough to know how to get in and out of stands undetected? Do you know the territory boundaries of the coyotes you are trying for? Do you call from the same positions often?

Gotta have lots of ground! the more stands you make the more likely your chances. Sneak in undetected, keep the wind in your favor & don't forget about thermals! they are very important as the coyotes are well aware of these currents & will use them to there advantage when possible. Here in my neck of the woods, I will purposely put my wind into a open field & hunt the edge of the brush on the downwind side. Coyotes around a larger population is gonna naturally be more wary. I call softly! I would rather get up & move a 1/4 mile than to blast there ears with high volume.

Good luck.

Back