Any love still for the 22 Nosler?

I tried bowhunts 50 bt h4895 load in my woa and it pretty much stacked 5 at an average of 3608 with if i recall a 30 fps spread. That prompted me to try just a little bit less of the same powder under my 53 Vmax and once again it was faster than the CFE at 3580 ish with about the same feet per second spread as the 50s. I'm going to pull my xp50 put it back on my white oak barrel gun today to test on some coyotes and do some load data work with the 53s before I go back to them with the thermal.

Last edited:
You will like how your POI shifts will be less dramatic with H4895 vs cfe.

If you like 53vmax you'll love 53varmageddon. 50fps faster and more accurate and like to be loaded long 2.29"-2.32"

got mine shooting pretty good with h322 and cfe, shot some 40grain at 3600fps from an 18" barrel, but settled on 50 grainers cause I have a lot of them.

Shot my first coyote with my 22 Nosler and dog town ammo the other night. First shot was straight on quarter to me a bit. She face planted with first shot.I scanned around just to make sure no other dogs. Went back and the dog got up struggling to move around. Fired 4 more rounds and finally down. Not sure I hit it with any other shots haven't had time to look it over real good. This was my first time shooting a dog with thermal also. Thinking back on my first shot I think it was left and low and looking at the dog the front leg was broken just below the shoulder and there was a hole in the bottom of the rib cage the size of a cantaloupe. I think my shot was poor and it was probably dead with the first shot. I'm one to shoot til they go down. I don't recall seeing that kind of terminal damage in any coyote I shot with my 223. With quality shooting no doubt this will dump them dead.

I just got finished putting my barrel on an upper and doing load development this weekend. I’m excited to see how well it does on coyotes. I bought a 18” WOA barrel and got the 60 gr noslers 3325 with cfe 223 (2.295”) It’s a very hot load to do this but I don’t care about reusing or losing brass, I built it for hunting night contest and I hate brass catchers. This barrel shoots 1/2 MOA

Actually, Nosler now reference 3500fps with a 18” barrel per the other thread I just started here. Just received 2 boxes with the updated info. Kinda strange seems like but maybe they are hotter loads now. I could have swore the older boxes said 3500 from a 24” barrel? All the older write ups back in 2017 mention a 24” barrel also.

Originally Posted By: CooperVT20Actually, Nosler now reference 3500fps with a 18” barrel per the other thread I just started here. Just received 2 boxes with the updated info. Kinda strange seems like but maybe they are hotter loads now. I could have swore the older boxes said 3500 from a 24” barrel? All the older write ups back in 2017 mention a 24” barrel also.

Just checked some boxes I’ve had since at least early 2018. 3 boxes of trophy grade and two boxes of varmageddon all said 18” barrels.

Back