Coup de Grâce Gun

alf

Anybody carry/use a pistol for the Coup de Grâce for coyotes?

A couple three times last year I walked up to a "dead" coyote, to find out they weren't. I hate to unleash the finisher with the rifle, especially at night, so I've been contemplating a 22 pistol of some sort for the dirty deed. Not to carry on the hip, but kept in the pack to retrieve when necessary.

I don't always carry the gun to check out the victims, so a backup could/would be more convenient. Especially if you're not saving hides, & the truck's the other direction.

Yes, I started carrying one last year. I use a Ruger LCP II 22LR. It is the smallest 22 pistol my local sporting goods store carried. It is a bit loud but overall, I like it. It fits about anywhere. Since I was trying to save pelts, I didn't want a bigger caliber.

Al I carry the Ruger SR22 that is threaded and I run a rimfire can on it. I hunt with a chest rig and carry it in my chest rig just exactly for what you are talking about. I used to carry the Walther P22 but its a lot more finicky about ammo than the Ruger, size and ergonomics are very very close. With the can on it makes quiet finishing work.

You need a rimfire can also!!!

For all around shooting, the SR22 seems like a better option and is easier to run suppressed. The LCP II does have a suppressed option, but it is available as a kit for almost 50% the price of the gun itself. If just for expelling coyotes, I chose the LCP II because it is smaller and 40% lighter. Both will do what needs to be done. For the infrequent times I use it, I preferred the more compact size, and lighter weight. I can see where the SR22 as Kino mentions or other 22-cal pistols could be a better option for many for all-around use.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/ruger-sr22-vs-ruger-lcp-ii

Thanks guys.

I have a bunch of Cabelas points to burn, so I'm sticking to what they have in stock.

I'm torn between a pocket pistol, that can do double duty as a drop in the pants for a quick run to the store, or a slightly bigger one that can do double duty as a target plicker too.

I do have a full size GSG-1911 that's threaded, and shoots dam good, but a little porky at 32 ozs.

Cabelas has the Ruger LCP in stock for $330.00, and only 11.2 ozs.

They also have the regular SR-22 for $440, $480 for the threaded at 17.5 ozs.

I sold a not quite new vintage 80's Buckmark this past year for decent coin, so I still have a soft spot for another Buckmark. They have a couple different ones in stock, at 30-32 ozs for $400 to $420.

Since Imma 1911 slut, I've also been looking at Browning's 1911-22's, which are 85% size of a regular 1911, and only 13 ozs. Unfortunately, they only have the bare bones model in stock with plain 'ol GI sights, at a cool 6 bills. Not sure what they have for sight cuts, and/or what's available for replacements. This would be my #1 choice if you could get Tritium sights for it.

Kino....I do smell a 22 can in my future....ha ha....

Originally Posted By: SoftpointBought a 22 Ruger Wrangler for my new night calling side arm. Pretty good quality at a cheap price.
I've eyeballed those as well.

Wished now I wouldn't have sold Dad's High Standard several years ago, that would have been perfect.

Not coyotes but for hogs….I carry a M&P22 compact with a suppressor and a light/laser on the rail. Have a custom nylon sling holster that can be worn across the chest. Super quiet and the short barrel keeps most .22 ammo subsonic. Laser makes the coup quick and easy.

I hate packing two guns. I load some really light loads for my rifle, in the 224s some 33gr HPs over a few grains of 800x quieter than a 22lr out of a shorty handgun.

I hate packing 2 guns also. I carry 3. Sometimes 4! lol

I always have my 38 Special with me. Rifle, shotgun sometimes, and 22 revolver in the pack.

I have a conceal that I always carry while hunting...but PA doesn't allow semi-auto handguns for hunting.,,only protection.
...so I have a Ruger Wrangler .22lr and shoot Subsonic segmented from it if I have to dispatch...no it's not "quiet" but serves the purpose. Would be nice if PA allowed .22lr semi auto(suppressed) for that reason
smile.gif

I carried a Smith 17 for years for that very same thing. As age creeped up on me (81 this month) I opted for a small aluminum J frame. Shot high and couldn’t lower rear sight enough so had to put on a taller front. I shoot 45 gr at below a grand. Not as quiet as a can but tolerable

Originally Posted By: crapshootI just stand on their chest.

Then your shoes stink to high heaven when you get back into the truck, but to each his own

The smell of coyote never bothered me much. Not to mention i don't go around sniffing the soles of my shoes.

I did double hand over the head ax swing one once. Didn't do much good on the soft Louisiana ground though. Wound up having to stomp it to death.

My days of swinging coyotes around are over, I'd rather plink one in the back of the head to end the festivities.

Back