Want to do a lightweight 308 build. Barrel question

moonshine44

I realize that using lightweight and 308 in the same sentence might be a contradiction in terms, but here goes anyway...

My daughter in law wants to start big game hunting next year. Deer and elk. Having seen what it can do over my years of hunting, I think .308 would be a good all-around choice for her. She loves shooting AR's, including my son's BCA AR10 308, and doesn't like bolt guns. So I'd like to build build her an AR in 308 and I'd like to build it as light as I can, considering that she'll probably carry it more than she'll shoot it.

That having been said, what's going to be my best choice for a decent, relatively lightweight barrel that won't break the bank (I'm kind of on a tight budget)? I'm thinking that 16" would be my best bet, weight-wise. It doesn't have to be a one hole shooter, but minute of coyote would be great.

Thanks in advance for any info you fine folks can give me!

I would look for an 18" or even a 20",velocity will be better and quite a bit quieter than a 16" with hardly any weight difference. SPR contour is a great option to keep weight down but still shoot well, rifle length gas system, adjustable gas block (helps with brass life, less gas in your face and reduces recoil slightly) and a lightweight handguard from PSA or Aero Precision, preferably 15".

I've had great experiences with Xcaliber recently (3 different barrels) and they are not crazy expensive.

If your dead set on a 308 i won't try to talk you out of it but if the rifle will be used for elk and smaller game I'd run the 6.5 Creedmore.

Seems anything light in AR10 is not going to be on a budget. If it were me I'd buy a BCA 308 upper and call it good. Once she carries it hunting she'll trade it in for a light weight bolt gun. I'm not a fan of the ruger American ranch with plastic magazines but it would be a "budget" lightweight all day carry gun.

My advice is check gb for dpms g2's. $1100 or so seems to be the going rate for the 308 carbines. They are a bit smaller and lighter than a normal lr308.

You have to take in consideration she’s shooting a very heavy BCA ar10. Those BCA upper receivers alone weigh more then most of my scoped deer rifle set ups. I call my BCA set ups mini 50 BMGs because they are Ridiculously heavy. I have two chambered in 243 that are extremely heavy. Because of the heavy BCA uppers they don’t recoil much. If you lighten up an AR recoil imo will have just as stout of recoil like a bolt gun. I also have a Remington model 600 from 1967. It’s a 16” 243 Winchester chambered bolt gun that weighs 5 pounds. That little gun recoils! BUT…it’s 2/3’s the weight of the BCA ARs. The less weight, the more recoil you are going to have no matter what type of action your gun is. I shot a light .358 Solcom the other day. It was like shooting an extremely light slug gun. It beat the snot out of my shoulder and wasn’t fun to shoot. I believe you will be headed in the same direction looking for a “lighter” AR. Imo an AR is not what I would want to set someone up for a “first” big game gun anyways. A bolt gun with a brake and hearing protection might be a logical choice. I’m sure an old semi auto Remington 750, 7400, browning bar, Benelli semi auto, or similar “a lot lighter” semi auto would absorb recoil just the same and imo a lot more user friendly for a “first” big game rifle. I’ve taught and trained youth and women hunter safety and how to shoot for decades…and the very last gun on the planet to start them out with is an AR. You also have to remember she is going to be hunting and not target shooting with it. Big game hunting normally requires only one shot 99.9% of the time. I’ll take stout recoil from the “one shot” over carrying a 10 pound plus gun all day.

If you know someone with a G11 have her shoot it first before buying. I am sure the extra recoil from the lighter AR will end up turning her off and saving having to look for replacement big game gun. I’m not an AR hater but just think it’s not imo what should be a “first” big game gun and going light will end up recoiling more than most semi auto “old school” big game guns. I’m sure you already have your mind made made up so I’ll stop preaching.

Last edited:
My thoughts... I have five Aero M5 builds, four have 16" barrels, one has an 18" barrel. I also have a DPMS LR-308 with a fluted 20" barrel.

A 16" .308 AR10 is going to be harsh on recoil, even more so with a lighter barrel.

The 6.5 CM won't do anything better within 700 yards that a .308 will do.

Loading lighter bullets in the 130gr class will help with reduced felt recoil. Based on your intended game, not sure how you feel about lighter bullets.

If you go with a light-wt .308 build, perhaps a adjustable gas block, lighter bullet weight loads, and a good muzzle brake will make things ok.

Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator I’m sure you already have your mind made made up so I’ll stop preaching.

Not totally. Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptMy thoughts... I have five Aero M5 builds, four have 16" barrels, one has an 18" barrel. I also have a DPMS LR-308 with a fluted 20" barrel.

A 16" .308 AR10 is going to be harsh on recoil, even more so with a lighter barrel.

The 6.5 CM won't do anything better within 700 yards that a .308 will do.

Loading lighter bullets in the 130gr class will help with reduced felt recoil. Based on your intended game, not sure how you feel about lighter bullets.

If you go with a light-wt .308 build, perhaps a adjustable gas block, lighter bullet weight loads, and a good muzzle brake will make things ok.

I've done lighter bullet loads for recoil-shy shooters before. Thanks for the reminder.

I just checked jse surplus and they have several 308 options, one from guntec looks particularly light. I have no idea on quality of them. Prices of all options was pretty reasonable.

Originally Posted By: MPFDCarbon Fiber wrapped barrel

Hi Dustin. Carbon fiber wrapped kind of takes it out of the realm of what I'm going to be able to afford. After talking things over with my son we've pretty much decided that she's going to have to get over her aversion to bolt guns if she wants to be able to go hunting.

Thanks!

Not sure what distances you would expect to her to shoot... but I've taken some rather large/tough hogs and some near 180 lb. deer with both the 6.8SPC and 6.5 Grendel.

Perhaps a build in one of those cartridges, with an 18" MLG barrel, and a good quality hunting bullet will get he in the game.

Either should be good for deer in the 200-250 pound class within 300 yards.

I know Elk can be much larger, but with either of those cartridges I'd not hesitate to take a GOOD shot within 200 yards.

I've killed some nice size deer with the .223 Rem (AR15) using 70gr. Semi-Spitzers so going light doesn't bother me.

She'll be hunting mostly elk in theses parts. Shots from 50 years on up. My son and I both have Grendels and she really likes his, so that may be the way that we go.

Thanks!

I would run the 6.8 over the Grendel every time for a hunting round. Barnes, Nosler and Sierra all make outstanding bullets optimized for the 6.8 and it is much better for ballistic performance with short barrels.

I've killed some really nice whitetails and wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with it at 250-300ish yards.

I thought you was dead set on an AR10 in 308 but if your not, the 6.8SPC II is a great option.

I've taken over 15 Axis with a 6.8 SPC II. I built an AR 15 specifically for stalk hunting, but it's a wildcat and uses 6mm dasher brass necked up to 30 cal and with an 16" barrel, I'm about 160 FPS slower than a 308 with the same weight class bullet. It cost me $3,500.00 plus in 2018 (with suppressor and scope) using Ti parts, etc and that was buying parts on sale. With a Vortex Razor 1.5-8x32 scope, Ti Suppressor, and loaded mag, it weighs a little under 7lbs and under 5lbs (don't remember exact weight as it's been a while) with no scope, mount, mag or suppressor.

You can build it pretty light, but it will come at a cost. Anyway, I'll send you a PM with a link to a lightweight (4.66lb) 308 build with parts list and costs as of March 2022.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6pt

nailed it right there. dial that gas back just to BHO and you'll notice a difference in felt recoil right there. keeps the BCG from bottoming out, lets the buffer spring eat up the majority of it.

you can tame it down even a bit more with a XH buffer from slash's + XH spring. i know you're trying to lose weight, not add it - but if you're gonna add a couple oz.. this is THE Place to do it https://heavybuffers.com/car10xh.html

as you noted, adding a brake will help as well - but if you're gonna go with a 16" barrel + brake - you better have some good ear pro on.

my lr308 is a 16" and even with a standard a2 flash hider, that thing will ring your bell. my dad gets mad whenever i shoot it up at the farm as the bench is alongside the house and its annoying to him inside the house. buddy has an ar-10 with a brake on it and its just f*&^ing redonkulus. obnoxious is such an underwhelming description of it lol

hth

Back