Multiple Texas counties to declare border crisis an ‘invasion’ as numbers increase

Foxpro.223

It's about time. Hopefully they're really getting serious about it and not just pretending to do something. Honestly, I think they're probably just bluffing and trying to snow people over until the next election. The situation should have been declared an invasion a long time ago.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Originally Posted By: FOX NEWS
Multiple Texas counties to declare border crisis an ‘invasion’ as numbers increase

By Adam Shaw
Published July 5, 2022 10:37am EDT

The invasion declaration may put pressure on governors in Texas and Arizona to act on the matter

Multiple Texas counties on Tuesday will declare that the migrant crisis at the southern border is an "invasion," Fox News has learned, a move that could lead to similar declarations across the state.

Kinney County Judge Tully Shahan is expected to announce the move at a news conference Tuesday afternoon, along with a number of other officials from other counties who will join him.

Kinney County Attorney Brent Smith told Fox News Digital that he believes approximately 12 to15 counties could end up having declared an invasion by the end of the month.

With migrant numbers hitting historic levels, and with more than 239,000 migrant encounters in May alone, there has been considerable talk in conservative circles about the merits of declaring the crisis an "invasion" -- which could open up a number of potential legal avenues for states.

Former Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Director Russ Vought and former acting deputy DHS Secretary Ken Cuccinelli, both now at the Center for Renewing America have urged governors to make the declarations and use war powers to order Arizona’s police or National Guard to remove illegal immigrants to Mexico themselves.

They have pointed to language in Article I of the Constitution, which allows for States to "engage in War" when it has been "actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay" without the approval of Congress. They also note Article IV says the U.S. "shall protest each [state] against invasion."

The idea scored a major win in February, when Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich issued a legal opinion declaring the crisis an invasion, arguing that the definition of "invasion" contained under the U.S. Constitution is not limited to hostile foreign states, and can include "hostile non-state actors."

"The violence and lawlessness at the border caused by transnational cartels and gangs satisfies the definition of an ‘invasion’ under the U.S. Constitution, and Arizona therefore has the power to defend itself from this invasion under the Governor’s authority as Commander-in-Chief," Brnovich wrote. "An actual invasion permits the State to engage in defensive actions within its own territory at or near its border."

Cuccinelli told Fox News Digital that the move by the Texas countries was significant and should now put more pressure on Texas Gov. Greg Abbott to make the declaration himself.

"The key here is you've got the first legal ruling that the southern border situation is an invasion," he said. " One, that's obviously very significant, and two it's going to -- as it should -- put enormous pressure on Governor Abbott to adopt that position themselves and to respond accordingly."

Kinney County itself is a rural county and officials there have estimated that they have seen thousands of illegal immigrants crossing through the county in recent weeks.

Kinney County Attorney Smith told Fox News Digital that he saw the move as standing with Gov. Abbott in taking unprecedented action against what he believes is a failure by the Biden administration to take appropriate action at the federal level.

"Last week Governor Abbott was in Eagle Pass and he said something to the effect of unprecedented times calls for unprecedented action or measures. And the counties that have declared an invasion agree with Governor Abbott that these are unprecedented times where local and state governments have to work together and take unprecedented action," he said.

"And the only reason we have to do this is because President Biden has failed to secure the border at all. So we're standing with the governor and we're declaring an invasion in the hope that he will stand with us in doing so," he said.

Full Article: FOX News

Originally Posted By: Foxpro.223 Hopefully they're really getting serious about it and not just pretending to do something. The situation should have been declared an invasion a long time ago.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Whoa, hoss! Border states have been carrying the water for the rest of the country for a long time, now.

Gov. Abbott has diverted officers from Texas DPS, Texas Rangers, Texas Parks and Wildlife, 10,000 Texas National Guardsmen to the border in an "all hands on deck" effort, even coercing all four Mexican state governors adjoining Texas recently to join in the effort along the southern side of the Rio Grande.

Lt. Governor Dan Patrick said today that the Texas Senate has authorized four billion dollars ($4,000,000,000) to conduct border security this year alone!

Quote:Texas border deployment gets $480M boost after top Republican leaders move money from other agencies
The 10,000-person National Guard presence is costing $2 billion a year, the Texas Military Department said Friday, confirming what The Dallas Morning News reported in early January.
Read story here: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics...other-agencies/

Quote:According to DHS status indicators, over 373,000 criminal aliens have been booked into local Texas jails between June 1, 2011, and June 30, 2022, of which over 257,000 were classified as illegal aliens by DHS.
Read story here: https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/crime-records/texas-criminal-illegal-alien-data

Originally Posted By: Foxpro.223Honestly, I think they're probably just bluffing and trying to snow people over until the next election.

All the above seems to add up to a bit more than "bluffing" IMO, and I suggest that blame for the failure to act lies squarely on the occupant @ 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, DC 20500 rather than in Austin, Tx.

Regards,
hm

Back