A little July 4th pdog thermal action

It's literally hotter than the 4th of July today lol, and some of the dirt and vegetation must be hotter than the dogs. Looking away from the sun it's worse than looking other directions it seems. Super Hogster, 243, 87 gr vmax.

QWsPA4Ul.jpg

0Z0v7JJl.jpg

Pretty cool, 1st time seeing thermal action on PD's.

Not quite the giggle factor as the mouse hunts though....

thumbup.gif

Yeah I have to admit it was a lot more difficult than I figured on. When everything is heated to roughly body temperature by the sun, they don't stand out much. But it was GREAT practice off the tripod and fun testing my cheap mounted rangefinder. And I missed quite a few at first, I was off to the right. Adjusted one "click" to the left and it appears I'm pretty close now.

I do wish I could string together the videos into one.

Last edited:
I have thought about recording PDs with thermal on a few occassions. Unfortunately, PD areas are a long drive for me. I would have to think early in the morning or later in the day might help with thermal differentiation. A cloudy day would probably help a little also as the ground/especially their mounds do get really hot. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you enjoyed the mouse shoots. When the vegetation dies off this fall it will be game on again lol. Can't see them now, though I did get lucky a few nights ago with one.

Very good, thanks for taking the time to post them. I've been thinking about a Wraith 4k Mini although we don't have P-dogs or even groundhogs on this flat black dirt here. I do like to snipe the crows and it would be fun recording the explosions.

Back