Upgrade 50 year old rifle or buy new?

DaisyCutter

I’m in a conundrum, and emotion tends to cloud judgement.

My current all-game hunting rifle is a Remington 700 ADL, 30-06, made in 1972, with an old Leupold M8 4X scope. From a rest, with my handloads, I can group 2.00-2.25 inches at 200 yards. I don’t practice farther. My loads are between starting and full power, because a full 30-06 in this rifle nears my flinch threshold.

Last November, I had several deer in my sights, a skinny muley spike tagging along with some does in the Harquehala Valley of the Arizona desert. I could see him well in my Vortex 12 binos, but grabbing the rifle I couldn’t resolve the buck with the 50 year old 4X Leupold scope. The fur all blended together, and I couldn’t see the spike’s tines.

Fast forward.. My credit card got hit last week, so I’m suspecting I was drawn again this year, and I don’t want the same problem again.

My first plan was to put a new Leupold VX3-HD 3.5-10x40 on the old Remington. But then again, the matte scope will look kinda ugly on the pretty gloss rifle, and a modern rifle is probably more accurate than the old Remington.

Now I’m considering a second plan, getting something like a Tikka T3X superlight in the 6.5 Creedmore and putting a 4.5-14X scope on it. People get awesome accuracy out of these, the recoil is super manageable. The stainless and synthetic would be easier to care for than the pretty blued steel and wood.

I can really observe and justify the performance difference between a 2022 scope and a 1972 scope. No brainer, The current scope is a non-starter.. As for the rifle, I have a harder time justifying the performance difference. The old rifle isn’t so bad as to need to replace it, but is it good enough to keep? Throw $500 at an old rifle, or throw $1500 at a whole new hunting rifle?

I also kinda like the old Remington, because it reminds me of my father’s rifle (it’s not though, only similar).

I’m kinda curious what you would do?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I know I’m not the most active member, but I still lurk around.

Hard to give up on the old girl if it shoots MOA at 200.

Upgrade the scope and call it good.

Of course I'd also put a McMillan on it and a Bartlein barrel before I bought a Tikka.....

crazy.gif

That new Leupold will look just fine on the Remington. I have a Sako with gloss blueing and a nice walnut stock that wears a Matte Leupold and it looks just fine on it. But I'd never say don't buy a new rifle either.

Look around on a few of the gun forums and you'll find a gloss scope in the power range of your liking.

Or buy a new matt finish one.

Or buy a whole new set up.

No right or wrong answer here.

I have my fathers Ruger m77 tang safety that is about the same age as yours.
Gloss action in the factory wood stock but it now sports a Christensen arms CF barrel, a weigatinny 20 moa rail and a Burris xtr ii instead of the old gloss pencil barrel and gloss vari-x ii 3-9.

I checked eBay and people were wanting $300 for 3 decade old gloss Vari-Xiiis. I suppose it’s not so bad in 2022 money, but still only a couple hundred away from a new Leupold that’ll probably trounce it.

The adult side says just slap a scope on and be done, but the kid in me wants a new toy.

Thank you for the perspectives fellas.

I'd put a new scope on the old girl and keep rocking her. Hard to justify the price for gloss, but?

- DAA

Do both! Great choice on the scope. For the rest of the rifle I would consider painting it or just the barrel. I have sat on many ridges and watched other hunters come through with those gloss finishes just a shinning in the sun.
If you like to just shoot the CM is less expensive and lighter on the recoil. Have fun with it.

I just had a similar decision to make. I had a Rem 700 action that had been trued and had a Krieger .308 barrel. It never shot well when I got it. However, the action was worked over to feel as fine as a custom action which I really like. Therefore, I was between the decision of a new barrel or a new rifle. I chose the new barrel route and had a Bartlein installed in a 6.5 Creedmoor. The cost of the barrel blank and the machine work was the cost of a new rifle. I have somewhat of buyer's remorse in putting that much money in a rifle that has no sentimental value....I probably should have gone the new rifle route. All that said, if it shoots (well), I'll be happy.

I'm always in the fix'm up category.

1. Your rifle seems to be quite accurate and new scope quite reasonable compared to replacing the whole rig.

2. Replace the barrel and scope, easily done with a Remage barrel for your 700, I just put a Remage barrel on a 700 in 20 Practical and it shoots lights out. With just a little experience you can do it yourself. I've done one Remage but numerous Savage barrel changes. The new rifle I put together came out right at $1150. with new barrel, scope and stock(including buying the Rem 700 action).

Don't be afraid of a matt scope on your rifle, you might like it. use QD rings and you can put the gloss scope back when your just bragging on the rifle during the off season.

Upgrade the glass and call it good. I have a 1966 model 700 that any day of the week will put them on the money. It looks wore out but it still kills well.

My first thought is upgrade the scope but honestly I would probably buy a new rifle then upgrade the scope later. Don't get rid of the rifle, you will regret it.

I took a strange route…

I also asked a long-time personal friend for some advice, and he said he had a spare Leupold scope he’d give me. I gave his son a bow a few years back, so we could call it square.

Then I read this article below, and got all [beeep]-bent on a new rifle with a modern cartridge.

https://www.americanhunter.org/content/how-accurate-are-today-s-rifles/

Yesterday, I ended up at Cabelas and came home with a lightweight stainless camo Tikka in 6.5 PRC, a cartridge I was ignorant of 72 hours ago, but finally had right specs to break my loyalty to the 30-06.

Then I got some beverages and went to my buddy’s house to check out the scope. It’s a 2015 vintage Leupold VX-2, 3-9X40mm. We then decided the scope wasn’t quite befitting the new high-speed rifle, so the old 30-06 is getting the used 3-9x Leupold, and the new Tikka will probably get a snazzy VX-5, which will be painful because I used up all my Cabelas points on the new rifle.

Noteworthy, it appeared 6.5 PRC ammo was everywhere initially, but when you ‘add-to-cart’ it’s on backorder. I’ll have to be vigilant to find some.

Thank you for the advice fellas.

Fantastic end to your dilemma.

You'll enjoy that 6.5 PRC, I've had two of them.

Quite the performer w/o beating you to a pulp.

Originally Posted By: AWSIf your looking for a GREAT hunting scope, Cameralandny has the Meopta Optik 5 2-10x42 Plex and Plex Plus on sale right now, $338.00.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brands/meo...riation=2779757

Meopta 1.5-6x42 on my old Model 70 222 Rem.
JZ51KG.jpg

A Suzuki Van Van? How fun that would be to chase Coyotes with! I will have to try that with mine. I have crash bars on mine as my riding ability (ahem!) is not what it was 30+ years ago.

Back