I'm not too pleased with Sierra

Harvey7

I have been a happy user of Sierra reloading bullets since 1979, but lately I have used more and more of Hornady's products. Why can Hornady produce bullets for reloaders while Sierra's products are almost never available? When I occasionally find Sierras they are priced well above the competition. I have discovered some great bullets these last two years, because of the scarcity of the Sierra product line.

Hornady seems to have restocked LGS and department store shelves faster than anyone. Sierra has about 1/3 the variety of bullets on the shelves as Hornady in my area (NW Orygun).

Sierra has become over priced. I am replacing with Hornady or Speer as I run out. I will not pay the price they want.

Yep, Sierra has priced themselves out of the market for me. If I want to spend that much, I'll buy Berger. Otherwise, it's Hornady for me.

My experience has been similar in Bi-Mart. The prices are WAY up, and quantity is still low. I have not seen the price increase with the online retailers i use though.

I also have switched over to Hornady for several calibers all together due to availability.

As far as being done with Sierra bullets, and Nosler for the same reasons. NO WAY! Love all of these companies. Glad they are still around.

Small fragile industry. Boycott it and options decline.

I like and shoot the BlitzKing line of Sierra bullets when I can get them. I like the Match Kings to. But like others I seem to have to find Hornady or Speer or Nosler to replace them when Sierra's aren't available. Bullets haven't been near the problem as powder and primers.

Sierra bullet jackets are very high quality, in the relm of Berger. So, you are buying an upgraded product with Sierra.

Having said that, Hornady bullets are available, Sierra is NOT!

Sierra's have always been fantastically accurate and usually easy to dial in. I've noticed also that there seem to be none to be found these days. I'm not sure where they all go?

Hornady's have always been reliable, available, and cost effective and very accurate for me also. They also have some really innovative stuff like the ftx for lever guns. Being a Nebraska company it's been a no-brainer, especially if you can buy blems for cheap.

Some of their brass, well that's a different story. I've had some with some pretty tight, pretty shallow primer pockets that doesn't really load worth a darn. More recent stuff like the Grendel brass has worked well though. And I've had some dud bullets that didn't shoot good either, namely some interbonds.

Many of us remember when a box of 100 bullets from all the major makers were no more than a dollar or two different from each other. Speer, Nosler, Sierra, Hornady, if it was a similar bullet it was priced similarly as well. I guess that I tried just about everything over the last almost 50 years and really, do not remember anything that just out and out sucked. But if one particular bullet shot exceptionally well in one or more of my guns I was a lot more likely to buy that one again. A big "duh" on that.

Was in a local reloading shop this morning. They actually had quite a bit of Sierra bullets at reasonable prices on the shelves. I was kinda shocked to see them. Lots of Barnes and Hornady also. Not to much Nosler though. Almost no Bergers. I think I saw 2 yellow box's. I noticed he had lowered his powder prices also.

I recently purchased 700 55gr .224 Blitz kings, 16.04/100. I also had not used Sierra because Hornady vmax was cheaper. Load development with the BK in one of my 22-250's has been very easy. These will be in the prairie dog list next trip.

6mm Blitzkings have become a unicorn. I can’t even find them on GB to overpay for them. Haven’t seen them on a shelf in over two years.

I literally sent sierra an email about this very topic just the other day. 6mm 70gr sbk are effectively extinct along with many of the other staple bullets from them.

They have been making 22 and 30 cal match and fmj with a few Spitzer mixed in and basically nothing else.

They told me 6mm 70gr sbk are not scheduled for production until "sometime next year"!

I would urge each and everyone of you to call and email them stating your displeasure with the lack of attention to their core customer base, HUNTERS.

Take a picture of your local store bullet shelves. Show them the amount of red and lack of green.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: arlaunchI will not heckle or taunt anybody.

If they could wave a wand and have their whole line sitting on shelves in every town, i bet they would.

Taunt or heckle? Guess I missed the part of my post that said that. What I said was to let them know a large part of their customer base is being left out. They haven't made 6mm 70gr sbk in over a year and they are not scheduled for atleast another 6 months.

They have ordered for every bullet they make. If we let know know what people want, they might just bump them up in production. Or, sit in your chair and do nothing. That's always an option

I tried a 150 spire point game King and a 180 grain round nose in .308 calibers on deer. The 150 grainer I had loaded around 3000fps. The bullet stayed inside and never bled. Took out both lungs and top of the heart. The deer never bled and made it a good 60 yards before dropping. The 180 grainer was loaded at 2900 fps. Same shot placement as the 150 grain projectile and deer made it 125 yards before dropping. It had a blood trail a blind an could follow. I still have about a 1000 or more left of them. Same shot placement with a 180 grain core loct hand loaded drops them in their tracks. I traded some cast bullets for a couple hundred 60 grain HP 6mm seirras a few months back. They are as rare as can be and about 2ce the price over 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Just traded off 100 of the 2125 and a 100 of the 2130 150 sierra's and $45 for close to 575 various .243 projectiles. About 200 70 grain and a 100 55 grain NBTs along with another couple hundred odd balls. Still have a goodd 15pp various seirras to pawn off. Looks like I have comming about a 100 unknown 70 grain HP, 100 85 grain unknown Sp, about a 100 herters wasp, and 40 of thr 68 grain Beregers.

Last edited:
Back