Creek bottom with houses that are within 1/2 mile.

SubpaR

I got a call from a guy about hunting coyotes. He and his dad farm not more than a mile of city limits. They both also live one mile out of city limits.

Dad must have had quite a few guinea's as a doorbell. Recently the doorbell has gotten more and more quiet. That's where I come in, he's a friend of my boss and called to ask if I could kill coyotes because he thought they were killing his guineas.

With so many houses close by I decided to go the shotgun route. "My shotgun" is an old Rem with an improved cylinder barrel, no choke. It's the only gun I can kill birds with so that was out of the mix. Bought my son a Rem 870 Exp. youth model in 20 gauge a few years back and found myself some Aguila #2 Buck last week

My qestion that I took entirely too long getting to is, how would you go about calling these coyotes? I'm not entirely sure it is coyotes, though I saw a couple of their tracks in the mud. He could surely have a bobcat or coon problem also.

I'm going to talk to someone I know that traps but would still appreciate any input on calling ideas. Thanks if you have any ideas.

If these guineas are free ranging and have any trees to roost in, that is where they will be come dusk. That would lead to a predator who can climb or fly, bobcat, raccoon or owl. If predation happens in daylight I know a guinea would be extremely hard to catch as they are good flyers. Take a good look around the property to see where any remains are and that should give some clue as to the guilty party.

Thanks 22magnum,
Everything you said makes sense to me, I honestly think it's a trapping scenario. I may talk to him about setting up to the north of where we looked because it would pull any critters out of the creek bottom and into some shooting range. Thanks for the insight.

There is a full moon coming up the middle of next week with moonrise and sunset close together. Grab your fishing poles and take your kiddo fishing nearby, an hour before sundown. Stay until a little after dark and if there are any/many around they should be vocal for a little while in this time frame. If they are there and you can find that good set up and be successful, it may be a golden opportunity to acquire more ground. Word of mouth amongst farmers travels fast.

Thanks for the advice Flintrock, he actually told me to kill anything I see and go ahead and fish if we want to. The problem is that I know the county I live in (Ellis) and he (being near 70 yrs old) doesn't call the shots, his dad does. My best set-up would be to go 300 yds north of the aforementioned creek and try to call any critters out of there but "dad" isn't very keen on that idea. I'll put in some time and hopefully things work out.
As far as getting more ground to hunt this won't be a make or break moment.

YUP
Thermal will be the best. Coyotes live with people all the time, we get them in town right along.
Snares will be the best option if you can use them.
DON'T let the dogs out they WILL find them and die.
Any shotgun will work don't use 2 buck, not good coverage.
A tungsten load of #7.5 will kill out to 40 yards but they're pricey. Lead #5 or 4 will be just fine out to 40 yards.

Back