Thoughts on replacing my 6 mm creedmore with 25 DTI?

Hello to everyone, new member here!

I’m an avid coyote and pig hunter. I’ve been playing around with a few different calibers/rifles over the last couple of years for my thermal hunting. Been doing some research and stumbled across the 25 DTI caliber.

When we started the thermal hunting game we started out with 556 and quickly moved up to 308. Then made a switch to 6.5 grendel and now using the 6mm creedmore. Seemed like the grendel was good at the coyotes but not so good on the pigs at running shots, when shot placement wasn’t the greatest. The 6 mm creedmore seems to be the best so far. My current load is 100 grain hornady interlocks traveling at 2900 fps. The problem with this gun is it’s heavy and long, which makes it unpleasant to hunt with when you’re traveling from field to field. Adding a suppressor makes it even worse with a 22 inch barrel.

After some reading on the forums and talking to dtech, seems like I can get close to the same performance with a 90 to 100 grain bullet out of the 25 dti. Ultimately, I want something lighter, shorter and better handling. I would probably develop a lighter coyote load and heavier pig load.

Anyone go down this route? It’s obviously not an inexpensive upgrade to do this especially with the availability of reloading components and cost of the upper. Just don’t want to go backwards.

Your consideration for change seems to center around better results with not so good shot placement... if so, you're going to be disappointed.

The 6mm CM isn't going to do any better with lack-luster shot placement.

A 123gr SST from a 6.5G at about 2600 FPS is notably subpar to a 6mm CM's 100gr load at 2900 FPS? No.

I assume DTI data is in between or close, if so, it's a wash.

You don't need a better cartridge, you need better hits. I've killed all kinds of stuff (hogs, deer, coyote) with .223, 6.5G, 6.8SPC, .308 Win., .30-.30, 6mmx45mm, yada, yada, yada and neither failed to deliver a dead corpse with a respectable hit and no one cartridge outshined the other on bad hits.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the 300 HAMR? I don't have one myself but I do know Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat came up with the cartridge because he wanted something that hits harder than the Grendel or 6.8 SPC.

Originally Posted By: Coyote-conquestHave you looked at the 300 HAMR? I don't have one myself but I do know Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat came up with the cartridge because he wanted something that hits harder than the Grendel or 6.8 SPC.

You're still launching a 125gr projectile at about 2500 FPS with the 6.5G 123gr SST at 80 FPS faster or thereabouts.

None of the aforementioned chamberings are sub-par for the OP's intended game.

Again, what's needed based on his identified concerns (better results on running hogs) is better hits not another chambering.

I get crappy speeds from a shorter barrel grendel unless I load them hot and I've broke 2 bolts doing that and 1 was a JP. Even a 20 inch isn't that fast.
A .308 is a bigger bullet so it's going to have more energy. Speed matters some but a bigger bullet = a bigger hole

Last edited:
A 6creed is a exceptional round!!! I’m not seeing where a 25dti will do anything a 6 creed won’t do better. I’m launching 108gr eld m at 3050 and that’s from a 20” barrel I load 80gr Berger’s in the 20” at 3450. My 24” 6creed launches those 80’s at 3550. This is a bolt action. If I were u I’d run a 22 nosler. This round is very under rated. It is fast!! My 75 gr load is traveling at 3100fps. They a Speer gold dots and they just hammer critters hard. Big thick boars they have passed completely through with golf ball sized exits. My 55 gr load is a hit one for it booking at 3520fps. A fast we’ll constructed bullet will always kill better than a slow bullet just poking holes. There will be more shock.

I have a 25dti, shoots great, the problem you will have, unless you already have the bullets to load, is finding any 25 cal bullets. They are very scarce right now.

Stick with what you've got and wait for better shot...and practice more. No caliber is going fix poor shot placement.

Last edited:
I like the 25dit because I can get almost 3300 fps with a 70 grain out of an 18
inch barrel. It takes a 22 inch to do that with a 6x6.8. I switch back and forth between that and my 243 for coyotes. A 25DTi will defiantly be an easier to handle package but not more deadly than a 6mm creed. If I was throwing pigs in the mix, and wanted a sub 20" barrel, it would be a 6,8 spc hands down

Back