Shoot or not??? Sako Riihimaki 222

pyscodog

A couple of weeks ago, I was at Bass Pro looking for a pistol. They didn't have what I was looking for so I was about to leave. Lately they have been getting used rifles in and I figured I'd give them a look. In the rack was a Mint, and I do mean Mint Sako Riihimaki in 222. I left the store, drove home, then got in the truck and went back. I haggled but they weren't budging on the price, they knew what they had. I did end up getting a 5% military discount. Went through all the BS paper work they make you do and took the rifle home. I pulled the bolt when I was there but kinda kept my mouth shut. It still had cosmoline on the bolt and even in the bore. This rifle has never been fired. I'm still trying to get the gunk out of the chamber
There's not a mark on the stock and the finish is perfect and not a mark on the blueing either and its nice and shiny. Even still had the hood over the front sight and had the original Sako peep sight on the action as well.
Best I can tell by the serial number its a 1959 or 60 model. Just a few years before they changed the name to Vixen. Now my problem, do I shoot it or keep it unfired? I did buy a refurbished fixed 10x Redfield that's close to period correct but didn't have period correct rings so they are late model Leupolds.

I've never been one to not shoot a rifle I bought but this ones a little different. But if I don't shoot it, it will probably end up getting sold. I just wonder how or if it will effect the value if I shoot it.

P.S. If you have some Sako dovetail rings with windage adjustment, I might be interested if you want to get rid of them.

It would be hard for me not to shoot it. I probably wouldn’t shoot colony varmints with it, but I would definitely take it on the occasional outing. 222 is one of my favorite cartridges. Hardly noticeable recoil, and just naturally accurate. I’ve killed coyotes, groundhogs, and crows with mine and it’s just got that classic sense about it. Paired with the classic rifle you got, I’d probably take extra good care of it. Or you could just send it Virginia.

I loaded 20 rounds just after posting this. Its near impossible for me not to shoot a rifle. Besides, its to new to think about selling it right now. Its just getting past that first shot. It sure does go good with the other Finnish built rifles I've been snagging here and there. Sure seems like every time I get a few $$ in my rat hole something comes around a relieves me of them.

Tough call on a great find like that. It would be hard for me to pop it's cherry to be honest. But I'd certainly want to.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARTough call on a great find like that. It would be hard for me to pop it's cherry to be honest. But I'd certainly want to.

Yep! That's where I'm at.

If your going to sell it anyway don't shoot it, but then I never buy a gun and not shoot it, it isn't in my nature, I don't have any qualms about cutting them to fit either.

Last edited:
Sell it and build a custom gun with the cash with a bit left over....222 if that's what you have to have. There aint many left that have not been defiled.

I have custom guns and also another 222. Wanamaker isn't until November. Doubt I can hold off that long. LOL, it will probably get shot.

Are you looking at it as an investment or something to use? That would be my question. If an investment, don't shoot it. Otherwise, enjoy it and get a lot of use from it.
Sounds like you maybe bought it right so if it were me and already had other 222's in the arsenal, I would put it in the back of the safe and consider it an investment.

I originally bought it to shoot. Then after looking it over good is when I realized the possibility of it never being fired changed things. I can't say its NEVER been fired but if it has, it wasn't very much as of all the grease I'm getting out of the action and barrel. The bolt face is unmarked. No brass ring or carbon, nothing.

As far as buying it right. Well, it wasn't what I would call a screamin deal but cheaper that what similar rifles were selling for. In the right place, there might be a little meat left on the bone.

Quite the quandary.....

If you're planning on peddling it, I'd leave it unfired, it's only new once....

Well I popped its cherry. Put 5 rounds down the barrel and realized the scope is a POS. I quit after 5 rounds, no sense wasting ammo. I took the scope off and returned it but actually traded it for a newer version. I hope its a good one. If not, I'll give up on the "vintage" look and get something modern.

I have a couple of special ones that I take out for an occasional nostalgia hunt. It's neat to harvest an animal with a vintage rifle. I'd vote for a couple of hunts per year and carry it in a nice soft rifle case.

Great rifles!

I've had mine for 26-27 years now, a 1963 L461 in 222remmag.

Mine appeared to be used very little when I bought it.

It has now been used extensively, lol.

I was thinking the thought of being unfired might make it worth more to a potential buyer if I decided to sell it but then again in todays market I don't know if it would matter or not. If they want it they will pay the price one way or the other. I may as well enjoy it first.

It may be really well cared for. Rig looks just like cosmoline. I put on all of my rifles that are in long term storage.

Last edited:
I'd shoot it, without a doubt. I don't get the whole "too nice to shoot" thing. What were they made for? And I love those old Sako . 222s. My brother in law has one. I made an outstanding shot on a henhouse raiding fox with it one night.
Just don't lose your magazine. They are made of unobtainium.

Last edited:
That's a sweet rifle. I'd get some Lapua brass, some IMR 4198 and work up some loads and use it.

Not using it is also understandable too.

Back