Ring Height Estimate

jpr423

Hey Guys,

I’m working on a new build and I’m trying to figure out the height of rings to go with.

Rings: Seekins picatinny
Action: Defiance Tenacity 20MOA base
Barrel: Brux Sendero
Scope: VX5 3-15-44MM

Leupold website says the bell diameter is 2.1 inches (53MM) which seems way big when the glass is only 44MM. I’d like to go with flip up covers as well. Seekins Mediums are .87”….can I get away with those? I just don’t know how far below the base I can go before hitting the barrel.

Thanks

I use NF .885 rings, which are the lowest set NF makes, and a NF 20 MOA rail with my NF NXS 3-15x50 scopes on rifles with Sendero contours and there is plenty of clearance, I don't know why a Seekins .87 set of rings wouldn't work for you.

I have a whole box of old rings, I'm sure if your into building rifle you should also. Just take any pair of rings, mount them, lay a straight edge across them and from there you can figure your numbers out.

Last edited:
While your figuring this out, you may as well figure the height of your scope above the bore. I would do some measuring myself.

Originally Posted By: jpr423I’m working on a new build and I’m trying to figure out the height of rings to go with.
Rings: Seekins picatinny
Action: Defiance Tenacity 20MOA base
Barrel: Brux Sendero
Scope: VX5 3-15-44MM
Leupold website says the bell diameter is 2.1 inches (53MM) which seems way big when the glass is only 44MM. I’d like to go with flip up covers as well. Seekins Mediums are .87”….can I get away with those? I just don’t know how far below the base I can go before hitting the barrel.

Should be fine with mediums.

This one with the same scope, Seekins 20 MOA base and medium rings, with a Bartlein #3. Plenty of room for a varmint contour.

bqw8pYn.jpg

Awesome, thanks for the info. The gun is still 4 months out but the rings are on backorder. Didn’t want to have to wait until I got the gun and risk them being out of stock a few more months and miss using it this fall

Back