Got back from Montana

Al Hansen

Came home 5 days early do to rain and the plague. Didn't shoot nearly as much as we have in the past. 3 out of the 5 ranches had plagued out. Thousands of acres without a dog in sight. Areas were we had shot thousands last year and the year before. Of course the ranchers are loving the rain and the dogs dying off. Mother Nature wins this year. Maybe a few years before they come back in some of the areas.

Yeah Al, I missed my annual trip this year, huge property my brother and I had permission to hunt on was tied up in court proceedings. Seems family was trying to sort out who had what "rights" after the death of the person and access was denied to everyone until settled. We had irrigated alfalfa on two sides of a huge dog-town and went through ammo like crazy! It's a bummer when plans don't go our way. We can always prepare for next year,

Originally Posted By: 204 ARWell that's a bummer, I hope you had a decent time anyway.
Always a good time. Very green and pretty up there this year. Plenty of feed for the cows.

wub.gif

Save the trip there all dead.

Just back from SD, dogging. I think camper numbers were down, judging by open spots that were historically full. We never saw or heard other doggers.

There was a fair bit of plague our way too, big towns now not worth unceasing a gun. We had mediocre shooting & then one afternoon of red hot. Then there was that big snake, it was hissing, but didn’t have a rattle on the tail.

I wonder how long it takes for a plagued town to come back? I see lots of grass, food, & a few seed dogs scattered about.

Found a new ranch, word of mouth, "we have a lot of prairie dogs no one has ever shot here, can you shoot a lot so we don't have to poison?". Me " yes I can and will". Going to take a 22lr just in case.

Same here 1200 miles round trip, $554 + change for diesel, shot 317 dogs missed 37 times shooting 17HMR. spent 5 days in camper because of rain and wind. (dogs aren't out in either) But it was a good time. Dog numbers were down.

July 6,7,8 we caught rain for the first time since 2016. Some roads we couldn't get thru in the morning, so we shot afternoons. First time I have had a rimfire with, ran through 150 rds in a couple hours in 2 days. Grass was higher in some towns, spent a couple hours shooting pd out in wheat fields(they had to be standing to shoot). Had one big town I couldn't get to because the creek crossing looked bad, brother in law's truck had p tires which I explained would be a problem. We cut a tire last day headed into town, had to buy a used tire for the drive home.

Back