Tikka 595 22-250

Originally Posted By: pyscodogA member on another forum told me my rifle is a Tikka Master Continental. I did get to shoot it Tuesday afternoon. I took 20 rounds loaded with 52 grain Bergers and CFE 223 powder. I had 4 loads, 5 of each. The largest 5 shot group @ 100yds was a .504. I believe I got a shooter. My only negative is the mag is so short. I can touch the lands easily with just about any bullet and have plenty in the case neck but they won't fit in the mag so it makes OAL a little shorter than I would like. But, the rifle doesn't seem to mind the jump so I guess that doesn't matter.

Let sleeping dogs lie. Don't let someone tell you that it will shoot better with less bullet jump. Five shot groups all under or around .500" is as good as it gets for a factory rifle. Anything less can happen but it comes at more expense and time. And then you'll likely turn a nice repeating rifle into a single shot.

If you don't hit something with this rifle, don't scratch your head and blame the rifle.

Winny, I can live with the jump. Don't like it but the rifle seems to be OK with it and that's what matters. I ordered 3 box's of the Bergers today. I want to make sure I can feed this jewel!! My groups might have been smaller if I had better eyes. Mine have a lot of miles on them. Also agree, if I miss its not the rifles fault.

If you can consistently get .5 MOA or better with what appears to have been a fairly quick and easy load workup I think I'd give a nod to the reloading Gods, leave it be, go shoot the heck out of it and be grateful you lucked out on such a nice used rifle. You go to "tweaking" on it and changing this bullet and that powder, before you know it, you'll be chasing your tail in circles.

To often tinkeridus has turned a fine shooting rifle in to a not so fine shooting rifle.

It was a load off Hodgdon's site and the OAL was what will fit the mag. I guess I just got lucky. Or the rifle isn't picky about what its fed. I ordered more Bergers from a member on another forum. Ordered them yesterday afternoon and got them this morning. So, I have bullets.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWinny, I can live with the jump. Don't like it but the rifle seems to be OK with it and that's what matters. I ordered 3 box's of the Bergers today. I want to make sure I can feed this jewel!! My groups might have been smaller if I had better eyes. Mine have a lot of miles on them. Also agree, if I miss its not the rifles fault.

What's to not like?

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogWinny, I can live with the jump. Don't like it but the rifle seems to be OK with it and that's what matters. I ordered 3 box's of the Bergers today. I want to make sure I can feed this jewel!! My groups might have been smaller if I had better eyes. Mine have a lot of miles on them. Also agree, if I miss its not the rifles fault.

What's to not like?

Good point! If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Got to shoot the Tikka at 200yds today. One group was in the .500 range. I was pretty stoked at that. Then I actually settled down and tried my best. The first two shots cut the same hole and the third just a smidgen out. It was a .335 group. I know three shots don't count. Does for me. That's about as good as I can shoot. Couldn't shoot out to three hundred today. There was a big fat doe standing in front of the target backs and she wasn't leaving. LOL

Last edited:
My "sickness" kicked in again today. I found another Tikka only this one is the 695 varmint in 25-06. Its got a little more figure in the walnut but has a ding ot two more than my other one. Still a very nice rifle.

Back