Ar-Comp in a Grendel

pyscodog

Any of you tried it? Just from reading, it gets good velocity and runs pretty cool. I just happen to have some so I think I'll give it a try. Using 123 ELD-M bullets and a Fed 205M primer, Lapua brass. Probably start around 27.5 grains and work up. Sound about right???

I've done a little research since I posted this and seems like 8208 is the go-to powder. Of course its what I have the least of. I keep seeing CFE223 is used but haven't found much data on it. I have a lot of it right now. Would CFE Black work in the Grendel? I think its in stock at one of the stores I go to.

No, the cfe black wouldn't be too great. If you have ar-comp go for it, follow established loads and see how it works.

Did some more looking and the CFE BLK isn't a good choice. Watched another video using Alliant Varmint and 8208. Both shot good groups and good numbers but the 8208 really shined. I have a lot of different powders but the 8208 is almost gone. So I need to find something that will work as good. I'll use the Ar Comp for now or until it runs out.

With the non-availability of powders, I'm trying to use what I have on the shelf or can still get. Of course Benchmark and 8208 are hard to get and work good in the Grendel and I'm almost out of both those. I hate working up a load with a powder that hard to find right now.

Going through the same thing with the powder supply. 8208 is the in my option the Grendel powder, BUT I have not seen it available in well over a year. 8208 is not temp stable and your pressure will spike when you get to the max end. 27.7 is my stopping point for 123 ELDM in my 20” barrel, I feel more comfortable at 27.4 which give me 2530ish FPS.
CFE is good and accurate and I have a couple of pounds on the way from Brownells. I can get better violocities with CFE223 but, not temp stable if you are concerned.
I have done 1 ladder test so far with the ar comp and it shows promise. I started at 26.8 at 2477fps and worked up from there. I would recommend staring a little lower with your staring charge and work up from there. 2530ish seems to by my accuracy node for the 123gr bullets. The SST shoot REALLY well out of mine as well.
If you find any of those 3 powders grab them and shoot!

I have 3 pounds of CFE and 2 more pounds coming this week end, so I'm good there. I have a pound of AR Comp also. Several other powders that the books say will work. But 8208 barely covers the bottom of the bottle.

Fwiw I tried cfeblk in my 6.8 spc and it was awful touchy. If I recall velocities were unstable and it would blow primers with very little powder change. I don't remember all the details but I have no use for it I can tell you that.

Last edited:
Midsouth & Midway have both had 8208 a number of times lately. It does sell out fast when they get it but if you keep an eye on them it can be had

Varget has been really tough, I've missed chances 4 times now. It shows up on rare occasions but tends to sell out FAST regardless of price

i actually saw varget on the shelf last week. 3x 1lb jubs. limit 1. $50 ea

i grabbed a 8lb of 6.5 staball instead so i had some CM powder.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei actually saw varget on the shelf last week. 3x 1lb jubs. limit 1. $50 ea

I love StaBall 6.5. I can't find it anywhere. My .22-250AI loves it.

Originally Posted By: AcroninOriginally Posted By: Plant.Onei actually saw varget on the shelf last week. 3x 1lb jubs. limit 1. $50 ea

I love StaBall 6.5. I can't find it anywhere. My .22-250AI loves it.

midsouth had some last week, about the same price i paid at cabela's by the time you add shipping/hazmat.

Local stores have started getting in powder/some primers. I purchased an eight of Varget. I have picked up some Staball also. This week I bought 3/100 of the Fed AR match srp, haven't used them before going to run them in 20p. They had at least 6/1000 of the primers on the shelf.

Last edited:
I tried a 95 grain V-Max and H335 today. Very promising. 5 different loads and they averaged 5/8-3/4ish inch groups at 100yds. I say "ish", I didn't measure any of them but my targets have a 1" grid and they were staying in the squares. Plenty good to hunt with. And I'm still working with it. May be good as it gets or may get better.

I got a chance to try the Grendel again today with the 95 gr V-Max and h335. Results were the same as before with groups just under an inch. I also tried some 123 ELD-M's and H335. Results for them wasn't to good with open groups around 1 1/2 inchs. With powder availability as it is, I use what I can get. The H335 seems to be working so I'll stick with it for now.

Back