MISSED

jmeddy

Went last nite for the first time since 4/16. Like to report a kill BUT l seem to have forgotten how to do it. Missed 2 in my first set about 15 min apart. Both inside 130y!!!
Called 2 together later on to about 300 but could not get a commitment. Figured if l can’t hit em close there was no need to really spook em.
Of course I had to check equipment this am and found the SH right on.

Might check for buzzards in 2-3 days since they both ran out of sight in less than 30y and vegetation was high and thick enough that my scanner may not have been able to detect them.

Have had my share of misses already, lol ! I think Murphy was hunting with me for a while. Finally ditched him !
Good to see your back out ! Vegetation has gotten thick. I had to look for one for several minutes in an open hayfield, it’s tall enough thermal couldn’t find it.

Buzzards are pretty dependable, lol ! I love having the video to look back on to evaluate my shots & shot placement. I really have to concentrate on the front shoulder, hate those runners !

I will watch for your future successful nights !

It happens to everyone if they hunt enough. Recording a hunt can help determine if the problem was on your end or not. It is a great learning/training tool. There are many times I felt patient and steady and was confident in my shot placement. Then when I reviewed my video, I was quickly humbled.

This was the first time l actually recorded (the second miss). Haven’t taken the time to learn how to view it yet but that is on the agenda for tomorrow when my wife can be the tech person.

Originally Posted By: KirschIt happens to everyone if they hunt enough. Recording a hunt can help determine if the problem was on your end or not. It is a great learning/training tool. There are many times I felt patient and steady and was confident in my shot placement. Then when I reviewed my video, I was quickly humbled.

Recording will often show you something that you did not see in that instant when the shot breaks. It can be very humbling in deed.

Vid looked like l might have been low but was still “in fur”.. Was very steady but on about a 30 degree down. No buzzards or “stink” 2 days later. Yep a miss. Vid can save a lot of looking for sure. The one l shot last Thursday did not give me time to hit record though, which can happen a lot in my area because of topography and cover.
One of these days I will contact weekender to take him up on his offer to teach me how to post pic/videos.

The SH video files are small in comparison to most scope recorded video files. The original SH held about 30 hours of video and the newer SH A3 can store about 60 hours. I simply turn on the recording when I start calling and turn it off when done for each stand. This way you won't miss any recording. Bering thermals record 10 minutes of video and automatically start a new file after this. The negative of this method is you don't want to keep or post videos that are 10 minutes long if a coyote is only in 30 seconds of video for instance. There are lots of programs that allow you to clip a file. This is one option to consider. I download all my videos after each hunt, and then delete the ones with no action, and keep the ones that have action in them. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to remember to hit record, but in the heat of the moment, it can be an easy thing to forget.

No matter if you manually start the video when you see the coyote or if you turn it on right away, always remember to stop the recording before turning off the video. If you don't the file gets corrupted. If someone ever loses a critical video, let me know as I purchased a video program that can usually fix the file, but it takes some work.

Thanks Korey. I just might do as you suggest when in tight areas BUT my old brain has a real good chance of forgetting to turn off the recording when done with a stand. I did just that on the miss l recorded untill walking back to my vehicle—-that is how l suspected that it records in 10 min segments. I had 5 of them before shutting it off.

Back