Baiting

Great shot, Wildflights. You are correct about the SBK being a hammer. That bullet and my 6mm Remington takes no prisoners.

Sorry to hear about the thievery. I can’t stand a thief.

Outstanding work wildflights!! The action is still good this late in the season! Sounds like you may have to set up some chime sensors at the farm and spend some time there with 55gr SBK's!

Baitpile calling me out
smile.gif
LOL

I failed to check zero after traveling. Missed two skunks and managed to gun down one porcupine with a close range/point and shoot around the outbuildings. Should have been running the shotgun with a light...

Close range stinker fail-
https://vimeo.com/712113115

You can see the heat signatures of the bullet in the dirt. They land about a foot low.

Last edited:

That stinker thought “what the heck was that?” He certainly is a lucky dude.

I have been having a fit with fox at the bait site when coyote hunting. I will open the cabin door and yell at them, shine a bright light on them and sometimes after being pestered to the point of madness, will even shoot at their feet to run them off. They always come back, sometimes within minutes. I can’t get any rest for them continually pinging the alarm. So, I found this little deal on Amazon that I plan to deploy and have some fun. I will wire in a remote control on/off switch and hook the unit to a small 12 volt battery and see what happens. Scroll down the page to see the video.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09MHP1YNV/ref=ox_sc_act_image_11?smid=AS7BH1UV0ZCEW&psc=1

Well, that'll stir things up 06! I'm sitting here giggling thinking about you flipping the switch on your first fox. It's gonna be a circus. If you can, get video.

Funny Softpoint. Sorry you lost the trap, though.

I have had problems for years with fox and possums. I guess most of you have too. One big solution for possums has been a cubby and Conibear trap that has thinned them quite a bit. I don't like to shoot the fox if I can help it, so maybe this new revolving light will help. If not then hopefully I will just have some fun. Hope I don't scare off coyotes, though.

Here is an example of a red fox a few years ago that kept stealing the bait. He would pack his mouth full and then carry the bait up to the hay field and bury it, then return for more. Not only did he keep the alarm pegging all night, but he would also deplete the bait. On top of that, the bait would then be up in the field away from the sensors, so any coyote that might come by could get it without alerting me.

The gray fox video was taken recently. Wildflights, that was not heavy breathing, but laughter on the gray. LOL. He ran so fast I thought he would skin himself.

Both videos were done with my home-made night vision unit.

Darn it, darn it, darn it. Educating coyotes with a string of unforced errors.

Bait site chime went off at 4:30 am and it's a pair of coyotes. I accidently hit the rangefinder button when looking for PIP. Howled to stop and my PIP window (LRF) window disappeared...

When the second howl failed to slow them down, I rushed the shot and scratched up a clean miss. Follow up on the runner looked close but I believe it went under him on review. Posted on Youtube for the option to slow it down.

More heavy breathing and a little cussing
smile.gif

On a positive note, I learned how to media tag this morning.

Last edited:
First shot appeared to hit left of the coyote. Second shot looked to me like your shot went just ahead of his chest. You might have gotten some hair on that one.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Absolutely not laughing at you, you sound like me most nights, especially with that Hogster I had! Missing haunts me for a long time!!! But, hey, on the bright side, you're having lots of activity!! I can't remember the last time I saw a coyote on my bait site. You cannot miss if you don't shoot. Good show, stay after em.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpFirst shot appeared to hit left of the coyote. Second shot looked to me like your shot went just ahead of his chest. You might have gotten some hair on that one.
That's what it looked like to me. You need a good kill to revive the confidence factor. I know my confidence is shaken when I miss.

Back