Thermal scope coyote shooting Distance

Chance Doane

What range do you feel comfortable shooting coyotes at night with a thermal scope? I like to call the coyotes in too 150 yards or less at night. Im running a ATN Thor 4 384. Just wondering where you draw the line and try to get the coyote to close some distance?

Thanks Chance

Last edited:
200 is generally my wheelhouse. Lots of variables but I rarely take a first shot over 250 but there are exceptions lol.

With my lightest gun I am about 100% on vital sized targets at 300. This is no wind off the tripod. Figure if that's my for sure range in a controlled environment it's a reasonable limit. For me 100% in practice scenario equals about 50% when the coyote booboo chills set in!

For my more open-area coyote hunting, my general strategy is to turn off the call when the coyote gets around 150 yards, and then I stop the coyote somewhere between around 125-100 yards. Usually a simple whistle, hey, mouth bark, etc will work. This is if they are coming nice and steady. Odd things start to happen if you let coyotes get too close. If I can't kill a coyote consistently at that distance standing still, I need to quit hunting coyotes. If they are coming absolutely on fire, I will stop the call around 200 and sometimes you have to get really loud and sometimes aggressive to get them to stop.

The only time I am shooting at coyotes past 200 yards is if they are about to get my wind or it is the 2nd, 3rd etc coyote and the others are already dead.

I am comfortable to 300 but have shot many coyotes over 400 but again these longer shots are almost on multiples where I shot one or more, and I wait for the coyote to stop. This range is going to depend on your gun, quality of thermal image, magnification of image, etc.

I really like this scope. It holds zero and i can id coyotes and feel comfortable shooting them at 200 yards and in. I like to see them at the 100-130 yard mark before i take the shot.

I would like to ask Chance Doane: "What lens does your Atn Thor 4 384x288 have?
1.25-5x19mm; 2-8x25mm;
4.5-18x50mm; 7-28x75mm?"

I would like to ask everyone: I was invited to hunt fox and jackals in Croatia. The useful target has maximum dimensions about 33x19 inches. At what average distance and at what maximum distance could I shoot with the caliber 308 (Hornady Superformance sst 150 grain cartridge, V0 = 3000 ft/s) on which I mounted Infiray Saim SCH50 (= Super Yoter)?
Thank you all for the answers.

Last edited:
Ernest, I'm not sure if I understand your second question exactly but ballistically speaking your 308 should make quick work of those jackals as far away as you can hit them!

Yeah your 308 will be more than enough of course, but maybe not the flattest round out there. By any chance are there some 110gr or 125 gr loads out there for it?

I don't reload, I only buy original American cartridges: Hornady, Federal, Remington, Winchester. In particular the Hornady Superformance sst 150 gr which have the flattest trajectory of any other. I would like to use original cartridges with lighter bullets (110 gr or 125 gr), but I have not found anything with a better trajectory than the Hornady Superformance 150 sst. If you have any better cartridges to recommend ... thank you in advance ...

Last edited:
... thank you very much for the advice. I checked the site of the Italian importer of Nosler ammunition. For the moment, only the Varmaddegon type in caliber .221 is imported .....

Back