38/45 clerke AR

Clayton86

I’m sure it’s never been done but been playing in my head about building one. It would be stupid expensive being a one off build and trying to find a barrel maker for it. I don’t know what I would even do with it other than say I did and use it to punch paper. I’ve kinda got a thing for wild cat ARs but the 2 I have are “easy” builds just the 20practical and 17-223. Been wanting a 45 AR for a while but got to thinking why not a wildcat on a 45 case for it.

I thought I'd heard of most all of them, but I have to admit I've not a clue what case you're talking about... But it does sound like a thumper!

If you can get the reamer you're half way there. I'd check with X-caliber to see if they have 357 barrel blanks and have them do it for you. Alternatively PacNor is back running and they might help you out. It won't be a real rocket but it will be unique. Thanks to all the new interest in PCC rigs and the lowers available I can't wait to see it.

One thing for sure the old school AMU armorers liked building them. I had two in Oklahoma that loved the round.

Greg

Last edited:
chambered a 1911 (Used a 38 super barrel mached to fit a 45 acp slide, reamed and head spaced) in that round it is a hoot deadly accurate when loaded to 38 spl wadcutter levels.

Would be a super easy build as no gas operation required Blow Back ...Just a .38 cal barrel blank then have have it turned down and chambered. As it is a blow back no Barrel Extention is required

Are you thinking of Rifle or pistol build??

Use a AR 45 acp Bolt, 45 acp mags (glock), 9mm buffer or lighter such as maybe as light as astandard 5.56 mm buffer could be used.

I would highly suggest a dedicated 45acp AR lower ( just easier)

Now the differance of the 38 Casull vs the 38/45 is the brass Use 308/30-06 etc and a LOT of work for the casull.... the 38/45 clerke is way easier prospect.

you will need the form dies as well as the regular reloading dies to form brass.

If you get deadly serious PM me I Probably can assist on where a reamer is and a gunsmith, where some formed brass, load data could be located.

What you will find out that is the 45 acp case when necked down to 38/45 clearke has the exact same case capcity as the 38 spl.

As a Retired old Army Fart I be Happy to Help a NY Guardsman out on such a project.

Barrel could be located here in a blank format
https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/bx357-25-38-cal-1-06-od-1-20-twist-turned-bbl-blank/

(and btw most 9mm barrels are actually .357" so actually a ar 9mm barrel could be used, and even If you use a .355" bore it will still work you are doing a Low pressure round the .002" differance is nominal the bullet will go out the barrel without issue.)
maybe this one ?? https://www.rainierarms.com/quarter-circle-10-barrels-9mm/

But if you look around if your desire is a pistol format a Pistol barrel could be located.

That round suppressed would be absoulty deadly quiet the bolt would make all the noise a 148 grain traveling at 600-700 fps think hollywood quiet

Last edited:
Oh as a FYI when the 38/45 Clearke in the 1911's was done the Barrels used was either a 38 Super OR the 9mm barrel they Just needed fitting / mating to the slide then reaming a REAL simple job.

In a AR this would be a snap and Not as expensive as you might think

Well now ya got me really considering it more. It would be a rifle build I’ve got my NY pistol permit but I’d rather not register an AR pistol in NY plus guys at local gun shop said they can’t do it anymore but another shop said no problem, In NY the FFL has to write a slip up stating caliber, barrel length, SN and all your info you have to turn into the county and state within 10 days. I would just do a 16” barrel on probably this lower
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan...b-spartan45.htm

Originally Posted By: Sgt_MikeOh as a FYI when the 38/45 Clearke in the 1911's was done the Barrels used was either a 38 Super OR the 9mm barrel they Just needed fitting / mating to the slide then reaming a REAL simple job.

In a AR this would be a snap and Not as expensive as you might think

My gunsmith in El Reno use to sleeve 9 MM barrels to make 38 Special target guns.
Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clayton86Well now ya got me really considering it more. It would be a rifle build I’ve got my NY pistol permit but I’d rather not register an AR pistol in NY plus guys at local gun shop said they can’t do it anymore but another shop said no problem, In NY the FFL has to write a slip up stating caliber, barrel length, SN and all your info you have to turn into the county and state within 10 days. I would just do a 16” barrel on probably this lower
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spartan...b-spartan45.htm

That one lower will work I sent you a PM with recommendations on a direction and whom has the dies to load. But look around they May NOT be the best buy BUT CH 4d Will make you a fresh set of dies. But Like I mentioned in the PM I'd have extra upper in the 45ACP for the cool factor. What I did not cover is when you look around for the 45 acp make sure they (bolt) are Glock compatiable ( they SHOULD be usually just when a 9mm build issue as they have two differant mags, but 45 should be just the Glock pattern).

Understand the parts about NY state Laws not really familer with them Lately been a while since I was in that region.
But here in Arkansas its not as restrictive in guns & suppressors.
Im going to link to another forum so a little background info can done https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?372130-Update-on-38-45-Clerke-project

And here is another Forum But Clayton pay attention to the 5th post (user name Roddy Toyota) states He might have some dies?? might be a idea to Join and message him and see if he would Part with them??? IDK just a thought
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t11007-38-45-acp-chambered-1911-barrels

in Closing for now just make SURE that the 9mm Barrel you obtain IS NOT MELONITE the reamer will not cut it and will be distroyed before it can cut the chamber.

Last edited:

You can get RCBS to grind you a reamer.
Any barrel maker can make you one.
RCBS will make you a set of dies.
You will need a lower and magazines.
You will have your AR.

You might as well go all in and do a .357/45 grizzly win mag. I once had and regret trading off an LAR Mark I (1911 on steroids) with all the conversion kits for it. .45acp; 10mm; .357 magnum; .45 winchester magnum and the bottle-necked .357/45 grizzly win mag (a .45 winchester magnum necked down to .357); That is one seriously fast and fun handgun cartridge but you wouldn't be able to do it on a blow-back action. It would be a hoot in a carbine.

Last edited:
Back