Original 308W cartridges with the flattest trajectory?

Ernest49

I have a Benelli Argo E 308W semi-automatic rifle with a 22-inch US version barrel. I do not reload and will never reload. I only use original American cartridges: Hornady, Federal, Remington, Winchester ..... In particular the Hornady Superformance sst 150 gr which have the flattest trajectory of all the others. I would like to use original cartridges with lighter bullets for hunting foxes and jackals (from 100 gr to 130gr), but I haven't found anything with a better trajectory than the Hornady Superformance 150 sst. If you have better cartridges to recommend ... thank you very much in advance ...

Last edited:
Shoot what shoots best in your rifle. A few inches of elevation gain isn't a big deal with todays dialing scopes. Lighter bullets are more effected by wind than heavies, the horizontal dispersion might be negate any vertical gains. Log distance shooters almost universally shoot heavier bullets. Fox and jackals are pretty fragile so just about any bullet will do the job on them.

If this is a rifle dedicated to fox and jackals you might want to look at a 243 Win.

I have a Berardelli 2000 in 12ga/5.6x50R Mag that is a great combo gun for calling coyotes(much like a Jackal) and fox here in the states.

Not everything a manufacture makes will make the jump over the oceans.
One of my favorite shotgun rounds for my old guns is the Baschieri & Pellagri (B&P) High Pheasant 2 1/2" 12ga shell. Due to lack of demand it no longer makes it out of Italy to the states and you just might find the same with varmint rounds for your 308 making it to Europe.

Last edited:
Baschieri cartridges are the best Italian cartridges. Just think that 40 years ago I was hunting fieldfare (turdus pilaris) with Baschieri magnum cartridges, 3 inch long case and with 1 3/4 ounce of 7 1/2 lead shot. I remember taking an incredible shot at 60 yards !!!! Even today they are formidable cartridges, almost as good as your Remington magnum.
I forgot to write that I will go hunting at night for foxes and jackals with the thermal riflescope Infiray Saim SCH50 (= Bering Optics Super Yoter) mounted on the Benelli Argo.
Thanks anyway for your advice ....

Last edited:
... thank you very much for the indication. I will check in the sites of the Italian importers which of these ammunition is imported ... but, at first glance, I think you are strongly right ... Maybe it is better that I continue to use the Hornady Superformance sst 150 gr, which are fine and they are already very precise, even if theorically they would be too heavy for hunting foxes and jackals ....

Last edited:
Back