any data sources for light 223 loads?

204 AR

I'm looking to make some loads somewhere in the hornet range with 30-35 gr bullets. I do have partial cans of suitable powders I could use up but can only find data for blue dot, which I do have some of. Is there any printed data out there, maybe in old manuals?

Thanks

Thanks for that. I'm old enough to have most of a can of that extinct powder from over 30 years ago lol. I made up a few light loads for a m38 Swede back in the day iirc.

Sure is hard to beat good old Blue Dot for reduced loads. I have used BD in my .17 Rem, .204, .223, .22/250, .220 Swift and .243 AI and every one if them have given me half inch or better 5 shot groups. Matter of fact, I am taking out 100 of those .243AI loads tomorrow to wear out some of our local ground squirrel with. Work great and way fun too.

Yes, an old speer manual will reap a number of powder possibilities for reduced loads, SR4759 being one of them. For modern formulas, as mentioned Trail Boss, H4895 (the IMR version), Accurate 5744, and others exist. Coincidentally, all of the last powders I listed are owned by Hodgdon now, and have tested online data.

Thank you guys, all that helps. I think I'll start with the BD, I wonder how well it will scoop with lee dippers.

If anyone's curious, I have an AR upper built with a 1-16 twist barrel from a CZ hornet. It has no gas port, and I use it with my 22lr conversion, and it's super accurate. I always wanted to make some light loads for vermin and use it like a straight pull bolt gun. Now I have the thermals and it will make a great window rifle for shooting varmints at night.

I also have an odd box of 30 gr vmax I bought as blems in 2010. I have no idea what there were from, if that's a 22 mag bullet or what. When those are gone I'll come up with something else, I'm hoping the 34 gr MS varmint nightmares are available again.

I have a couple of good reduced loads with 40 & 55 grain bullets using BD, not anything smaller though.

Along those lines, I worked up some lighter loads in one of my 22-204's, but used 55 grain Ballistic Tips, trying to find a fur friendly combo for a bobcat hunt.

H-4198 and H-4227 worked quite well, testing from 2650 to 2900 or so on the top end.

Those 2 powders, if you have any on hand, are worth pursuing.

I think it was the old Lyman manual that I found Blue Dot loads, will have to see what I have. I have an older lot as well as some fresh stuff. I loaded a few up as quick test with the old lot with a mild load according to data I found- showed stupid high pressure. Repeated it with the fresh stuff and everything was in line with the load data. So tread carefully with an older lot. I have killed coyotes with I think 12 gr of BD & 55 Vmax, sounds like a 22 magnum.

I'm pretty sure Hodgdon has some published light loads using H4895. A quick/lazy search found references to them but I didn't chase anything down.

Thanks again guys, I think I have what I need now. It will be nice to burn some of the various odds and ends in the back of the cabinet.

zHJDCJnl.jpg

I did some experimenting in the blustery nasty day we have going on. Those groups were at 50 yds, using 12.5 gr SR4759, and 30 gr vmax, and 40 gr varminators. The furthest right group was the 30's seated pretty deep, the middle group was 30's 5 thou off the lands, and the tiny group was 40's seated using the same adjustment as the 30's. I had adjusted the scope a little after the far right group.

Honestly I didn't know if the 40's would stabilize in the 16 twist but I like the cloverleaf. I'll check them at 100 on a decent day to verify. Speeds with the 40's were 2300 fps or so, then my crony blew off the porch and bent up the screen rods. No permanent damage thank goodness.

Back