Baiting

LOL. I'm not sure if that's all excitement or just a bit out of shape. I'd just rounded up and crated the dogs and shook the wife to get her to cover her ears. Kind of a mini sprint around the room to get things in order before getting on the rifle.
Personally dislike hearing myself. I'd turn off the audio but I like catching the sound of the shot.

Picked off #7 at 4am this morning between the horse stalls and chicken coop. I didn't hit record because she was getting ready to vacate the premises. A howl to stop and quick on the trigger.

Overall it's been quite a short run. Four down in eight days. Two unforced errors and a third spotted with no chance to get on him. I need to reload some empty 243 brass
smile.gif

Last edited:
Those "wet" side coyotes aren't nearly as jumpy as the "dry" side yotes.

Big mistake in your neighborhood!

Habitualizing them to human presence is a death sentence when you're on the job Wildflights.

Originally Posted By: wildflights I need to reload some empty 243 brass
smile.gif

LOL. I'm in the same boat with my 6x45. I just mounted up a new AGM Rattler and zeroed it and did some general testing. At the end of the day, nothing to hunt with. To the reloading bench I went.

Originally Posted By: wildflightsLOL.Personally dislike hearing myself. I'd turn off the audio but I like catching the sound of the shot.
Hey man, I know how you feel. I have even recorded myself whispering and mumbling before, not to mention breathing hard. I am thankful for the excitement of it all. If it ever gets to where that excitement is no more, then most likely I would just quit hunting all together.

Bait, I am anxious to hear how the Rattler works for you. Mine and the 6x45 showed me a very good season.

06, we'll keep you posted. So far, I am pleased. Initial zero and testing all show promise. I like the button layout and menu navigation better than the R35. All zoom values shoot same POI. The reticle in the main screen and PIP actually match.I zeroed at 150 yds with a 1.5" grp. 5 shot grp, shooting on different zoom values, and actually used the PIP for a couple shots. So far, looks promising.
bait

Baitpile- Did you go with the 25 or 35 model Rattler?

Wife saw another one at ten this morning while I was at work. She didn't quite get on him before he went into the woods. I'll need to set up a tripod for her and she can take over. Like a woman that can shoot!

I killed this pair at the baitpile last night, but they were actually coming to some howls I had made using the sound from a manufacturer that we can't mention on here. Anyway, made the howls on the FoxPro and then checked the field with my Super Yoter. They were coming from the downwind side and couldn't have been more than a couple hundred yards in the woods. I dumped the bigger one first at 165 yds. The smaller one which I figured was a female turned out to be just a smaller male. He ran a short distance and stopped. I rushed the shot and missed. He ran a little further and stopped again. This time the bullet found it's mark and I had two DRT's. First big male fell in a dry ditch, second male was about 220 yds. on the killshot. I'll post the video at some point but today is going to be busy.

#60-61 by Double Up, on Flickr

Last edited:
Outstanding work DU. WTG!

wildflights, I went with the TS35. So far I am pleased.

So, on the Rattler topic, I was able to get out last night for one set with a friend of mine. We were only going to do one set quick and see what our chances were, with the soul purpose of getting the Rattler into the field. So this was not a bait set up, rather a calling excursion.
We got set up on a hillcrest and started to scan before calling. Immediately, my buddy's scope goes haywire, and he loses the reticle. So, I'm the only gun now. I spot a triple just wandering around, crossing in front of us at about 250-300 yds. A quick jackrabbit on the call, and they came hard. Two stayed low below the crest of the hill we were on, working down wind. The third came directly to the call. I barked it to a stop, and DRT with the Rattler. Turns out about 50 yds is all. Now for the rookie part of this whole story, I always have a rookie part! In all my thought process and focus on scope function, I forgot to hit record. Also...upon recovery, I never checked gender...DUH. I was really dialed in on this scope function, and it is not season for prime fur, so all common sense was out the window on this hunt. But, it was fun and the Rattler has first set, first coyote success. 6x45 with 75 gr Speer hollow point. Never took a step.

AGM first set2 (2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

AGM first set2 (1) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Long winded, so thanks for listening.
bait

Bait, that is great !! Sorry you didn’t get video, but it happens sometimes. The record button requires a long press ‘n hold for about 4 seconds, which I think is too slow to respond. Once you get used to it though, it isn’t too bad. Glad you got some good time with the combo.

DoubleUp, you just keep on going, kind of like the Energizer Bunny.

You are right. The long legs didn't help although he did run across two cuts. I double lunged him. I had to shoot him earlier than I preferred as he was about to get two of the neighbor's kittens that were on the bait pile with their mother. I do have video but will post it tomorrow afternoon. Here is Mr. Longlegs.

#62 by Double Up, on Flickr

Last edited:
Been at the farm for the last ten days replacing doors after a burglery. Tweakers stole all of the toilet paper and paper towels. Even took the garbage can out of the kitchen and a package of disposable razors.

Back home now and #8 hit the ground. Chime went off around midnight. She's busy working on what's left of the last beaver I put out for them. You'd think mid May there would be better options as the tail is the only thing left with any substanance.

243 with 55 SBK is a hammer.

https://vimeo.com/711642436

Last edited:
Back