Glock Question

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: GCGrip the piss out of the gun with both hands and keep a HARD focus on the front sight as you crush the trigger STRAIGHT back. Break the shot relatively quickly, don't squeeze on the trigger for 45 seconds. The trigger finger and movement to the rear is an independent movement from everything else. Moving the sights because of bad form is a crutch that doesn't fix the problem.

Great advice, GC.

Your response is pretty much the answer for a limp wrist. By his answer just below my question, I'm not sure if psycho understood my question or not...?

I don't think he is limp wristing the pistol because he didn't mention malfunctions. Inexperienced handgunners often shoot striker fired pistols low left. Poor grip, poor trigger finger placement and recoil anticipation are the most common causes of the low left malady.

Recoil anticipation with a less than firm hand grip was what I was specifically referring to.

I have a friend who bought a Glock 19 and it shot low and left for him until I got him to get a good straight line firm hand 2-handed grip. No malfunctions for him but he consistently shot the Glock 19 low and left. It happens with a lot of 45 ACP guns also. Granted the Glock is not a slab side, but it reminded me of my friend's problem.

I do know that I'm squeezing the trigger in a slooooow pull like I do my rifles. I kinda thought I was suppose to. Be patient with me, I am no pistol shooter. Love to shoot them but I got a lot to learn. I have a feeling I need to buy a bunch of ammo. LOL!!!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have a feeling I need to buy a bunch of ammo. LOL!!!
Not necessary. Dry firing is free and you need a bunch of that. Correct your grip and practice dry firing.

You can't cheat your eye, put a laser under the barrel. Let your eye train your grip/trigger finger. Snap cap is cheap muscle memory training. Plus you add a defense night tool.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootYou can't cheat your eye, put a laser under the barrel. Let your eye train your grip/trigger finger. Snap cap is cheap muscle memory training. Plus you add a defense night tool.

First, the OP needs to learn how to shoot a handgun properly and accurately. After doing that he can attach a laser sight and get it to point where the Glock actually shoots.

A lazer before the OP can shoot the Glock properly is no different than adjusting the pistol sights to overcome his poor shooting grip and form. The snap cap is a good idea for dry firing.

Originally Posted By: GCGrip the piss out of the gun with both hands and keep a HARD focus on the front sight as you crush the trigger STRAIGHT back. Break the shot relatively quickly, don't squeeze on the trigger for 45 seconds.

That was, and still is now and then, my issue as well. I keep treating pistols like I’m shooting one of my rifles at long range. I start shooting ALOT better once I stop doing the “slow squeeze”.

Last edited:
Agree again with Winny and others. I want to learn to shoot my pistol with out the aid of a sight device or moving the sights. After that, if the sights need a small movement to fine tune I can do that. I did have Glock factory night sights installed. The front sight had a small chip. It didn't effect the sight but was distracting.
It about has to be in the way I grip the Glock. I don't have any issues with my LCP.

Get A 1911.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Get A 1911.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Finally, someone said it.....
thumbup1.gif

No plastic fantastic stuff around here.......

Just keep practicing finger placement and no slow squeezing as said above. I ordered a mako defense “knock off” red dot polymer mount to try on mine for long range shooting and hunting. If I like it enough I might get it milled or by a replacement slide that’s already milled for a red dot. It’s one of very few pistols I’ve shot that’s dead POA right out of the box. Never been a Glock fan till I rented a 20 last year. The rental 20 shot excellent. Never shot a 10mm before and the first four shots were all in one big 1” hole in the “x” at 18 yards. I got excited and pulled the 5th shot an inch left. It was enough to make me finally brake down and buy one a few weeks ago. Still not a big fan of no manual safety but I’ll get use to it. I have 8 pounds of green dot, 600 bullets, 8,000 large pistol primers, and a small rate flat box full of brass so I’ll get use to shooting it since I will have enough supplies to do so. I am Ordering a cast bullet hollow point mold and will be powder coating them as well. I added the second widest grip insert before I tried mine out. I have pretty large hands. The largest one fit my hand fine but I felt it taper down to the main grip. The size below it I didn’t feel the taper in my hand.

Last edited:
Well said Dulti. I actually carried a GLOCK on SORT/SWAT over the SIG I could have used. I much preferred the straight single action vs.DA/SA.

Greg

Shooting low/left is normal for many early into their Glock ownership experience. The grip angle is a little different and the Glock doesn't have a 1911 trigger, never has, never will. That said, shooting a Glock well isn't that hard, it just requires some dedication and practice. Limp wristing is common, but not as big an issue as some make it out to be. A death grip is not a requirement.
For a good productive grip, hold the firearm comfortably with your shooting hand, now grip it with the support hand. Too often shooters try to put a death grip on it with firing hand. As the hand wraps around the grip, it tends to twist the firearm to the left (or right for those who are lefties) and pull the nose down. By holding with the firing hand and gripping with the support hand, that left twist is countered and the firearm points as it should. The next culprit is trigger control. Too much finger and the left twist is back. Use the pad of your finger, pulling straight rearward in a smooth steady motion rather than trying to stack the trigger will give you much better results.

This thread should greatly benefit a new Glock shooter. About 13 different methods of gripping and shooting a striker fired handgun have been recommended. Surely after trying six or eleven methods the new shooter will find something that works for them.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GCThis thread should greatly benefit a new Glock shooter. About 13 different methods of gripping and shooting a striker fired handgun have been recommended. Surely after trying six or eleven methods the new shooter will find something that works for them.
smile.gif

Thinking the same.
unsure.gif

it's just par for the course when you're on the internet. Sometimes cheap advice costs more than professional, paid for, experience and knowledge.

You ain't seen nuttin until you belong to a few off road/4x4 groups on face book.

gotta be some of the most ill informed, dumbest people in the world in those groups.

Originally Posted By: GCThis thread should greatly benefit a new Glock shooter. About 13 different methods of gripping and shooting a striker fired handgun have been recommended. Surely after trying six or eleven methods the new shooter will find something that works for them.
smile.gif

More than likely, someone will convince them it's the gun!

I thought Glocks were all supposed to be held sideways when you shoot them. That's how they do it on tv and in the movies.
smile.gif

Back