Glock Question

pyscodog

I got a Glock 17 Gen 5 for my birthday. Nice!! But I have a question. I shoot consistently to the left. (Groups are good..at least for me.) I watched a few videos and it seems that I'm not alone. Lots of right handed people shoot Glocks to the left and sometimes low and left. I tried a few things that people claimed would fix it but it didn't help. (It was all in the way you grip it.) I can move the sights but if its me, I'd rather fix me than move the sights. Any suggestions?

My dad had the same issue when shooting some pistols. And after I told him to move his trigger finger so that he is using more of his finger print area instead of the cress of the trigger finger it went right to where he needed. i had an actual chart at one time.

Last edited:
I use my finger tip. I tried a different hold, I tried easing up pressure with my strong hand pinky finger and nothing has helped yet. I shot my little LCP Ruger and can keep them centered with no problem. The G17 shoots nice tight groups, just about an inch to the left. (shooting at 10yds) Maybe I'll D&T it and mount a scope.
unsure.gif

Last edited:
Striker fired pistols take some getting used to, especially, if you predominately shoot rifles with good triggers, revolvers, or single action hammer fired 1911 type handguns.

One of the best things I did to my Gen4 G17 was install a trigger kit in it. Striker fired pistols have a weird spongy and sometimes pretty heavy trigger. I don't exactly remember but I believe I used a ZEV trigger kit in mine but if you look up do it yourself Glock trigger job there are multiple youtube vids that'll walk you through DIY trigger jobs that'll improve your trigger nearly as well as a aftermarket kit will. It not only drops the trigger pull by about half but it drastically shortens the pull and makes them considerably more crisp taking a lot of that spongy feel out of it.

Even though I have a few I'm personally not a huge Glock fan but that doesn't mean they still aren't a good gun and they're a workhorse you can trust to go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Also, Glocks are extremely easy to disassemble and work on.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkin I had an actual chart at one time.

If you look up pistol trigger control chart, you will find several variations of those charts.

Of course, I watched more videos on how to grip a Glock. I thought I was doing it correctly but maybe not. All I can do is go to the range and burn more ammo and see if I can correct the issue. I like the Glock mainly because of what B23 said, they are a work horse and very dependable. Not very pretty but the do work. I almost bought a Beretta 92. Lot nicer looking pistol and wonder if I would have had the same issue????? Maybe get it at a later date. I'm really not a pistol shooter but wanted something more than the LCP when I go hunting. Its nice to have a little more punch than the 380.

Best thing I did was purchase rail mounted laser, snap caps. Sit and pick a spot on the wall. Find best finger position on the trigger to minimize pulling the laser off target when the trigger falls. Only takes a slight re position to shoot center.

I've read in the past that most suggest you need to adjust your grip to center your groups.

If you have a comfortable/repeatable grip, I'm a fan of moving the sights, rather than trying to remember how to hold the dam thing every time you want to shoot it.

Even more important with a SHTF gun......

I agree with you alf. When the s--t hits the fan I sure don't want to wonder if I'm holding my pistol correctly. I may make a few more trips to the range and if I can't get a grip that's comfortable and still lets me center my groups, I'll move the sights.

I had that issue with my New Vaquero. I’ll have to look for the chart. I didn’t have enough finger on the trigger…the tip like you. I just bought a glock 20 a few weeks ago. I did the 25 cent trigger job. It brakes at 58 oz. First time to the range and first shot it hit dead center. A the circle I was aiming for was the size of a pencil eraser. I only shot it 10 times because when I reassembled it I didn’t put the spring below the firing pin so it would lock open after each firing. But I was either dead on or low left and inch like you. IMO it’s all about finger placement on the trigger.

Brxq7JF.jpg

bp9jEIq.jpg

I was blaming Ruger until I experimented with finger placement on my colt 45. At 25 yards I can hit shot gun shells with it non stop now!

Last edited:
The finger placement and a smooth trigger stroke is paramount on this one. You'll have to burn a lot of rounds to get that muscle memory down. If the problem reoccurs the rule of thumb in winning matches and making hits will always be to make the gun fit you not you fit the gun. You could shoot it a few trips and work on my finger but realistically I'd change the sights. I don't shoot fix sighed guns just for this reason. Not so much that I can't adapt it is more that a changing of the load can put you back to square one. Too much to work on for me.

Greg

I would say check your trigger finger placement and firm up your grip. Getting a good secure grip and driving the firearm forward is the best way. Spent several years as a LE firearms instructor, and it seemed like most right hand shooters shot low left, including me, when they started out.

Grip the piss out of the gun with both hands and keep a HARD focus on the front sight as you crush the trigger STRAIGHT back. Break the shot relatively quickly, don't squeeze on the trigger for 45 seconds. The trigger finger and movement to the rear is an independent movement from everything else. Moving the sights because of bad form is a crutch that doesn't fix the problem.

You are anticipating the shot and bracing for recoil.
Get a 3 or 4 dummy rounds and have someone else load them in a magazine randomly with live rounds and watch what happens every time you pull the trigger on a dummy round.
Best way to get over this is trigger control best way to improve trigger control is trigger time.
Don't try to squeeze the trigger on a glock type pistol like a rifle it should be more of a steady press.
Dry firing can help to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IdahoSawtoothYou are anticipating the shot and bracing for recoil.
Get a 3 or 4 dummy rounds and have someone else load them in a magazine randomly with live rounds and watch what happens every time you pull the trigger on a dummy round.
Best way to get over this is trigger control best way to improve trigger control is trigger time.
Don't try to squeeze the trigger on a glock type pistol like a rifle it should be more of a steady press.
Dry firing can help to.

Good advice. It is called the "ball and dummy drill.". If a flinch is there it will be quickly apparent. With the flat top slide of a Glock it is easy to put a fired cartridge case on the slide near the front sight and practice trigger control. If you can't crush the trigger in a controlled manner you will jiggle the empty off the slide or displace it by a big margin.

Originally Posted By: GCGrip the piss out of the gun with both hands and keep a HARD focus on the front sight as you crush the trigger STRAIGHT back. Break the shot relatively quickly, don't squeeze on the trigger for 45 seconds. The trigger finger and movement to the rear is an independent movement from everything else. Moving the sights because of bad form is a crutch that doesn't fix the problem.

Great advice, GC.

Your response is pretty much the answer for a limp wrist. By his answer just below my question, I'm not sure if psycho understood my question or not...?

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: GCGrip the piss out of the gun with both hands and keep a HARD focus on the front sight as you crush the trigger STRAIGHT back. Break the shot relatively quickly, don't squeeze on the trigger for 45 seconds. The trigger finger and movement to the rear is an independent movement from everything else. Moving the sights because of bad form is a crutch that doesn't fix the problem.

Great advice, GC.

Your response is pretty much the answer for a limp wrist. By his answer just below my question, I'm not sure if psycho understood my question or not...?

I don't think he is limp wristing the pistol because he didn't mention malfunctions. Inexperienced handgunners often shoot striker fired pistols low left. Poor grip, poor trigger finger placement and recoil anticipation are the most common causes of the low left malady.

Back