Primer question for .243 handloads

ScottyP

Due to the current state of affairs, I cannot get my hands on any large rifle primers. I don’t mind overpaying within reason but I refuse too pay gbbroker prices. After hazmat and shipping we are looking at over 200 bucks a brick.
I have the opportunity too buy some CCI No 34 LRP right now. I have read they are fine too use in place of standard primersbecause they just have a thicker cup for auto loaders. My.243 is a AR so that works out. I have also read that these are more of a magnum primer. That being said, am I ok to do my load work up by the books and just treat these like standard CCIs? I’m almost finished building my gun. I hope to work up an accurate speedy load with 55-60gr pills. Do any of y’all have much experience with no 34 primers and .243 loads? Just want to make sure I don’t put myself in an over-pressure situation.
Thanks

I've never used them but no reason why they shouldn't work. Just start your charges low and work up. I do that with regular primers as well.

It will work just fine if that's what you have. I have some, but haven't used them for that, but sure would if I needed to.

I use 34's for my AR-308. Thats what they are made for.

Just do load development from low to high and you will be fine. Try to use the fastest powder you can get away with. Your brass will get ruined if you don't.

You can use any primer you want. As stated below, just reduce your charge and work back up checking for pressure signs and accuracy

Back