Cutting edge monolithic bullets?

ScottyP

Just curious, has anyone used the cutting edge monolithic bullets? I am reloading for my new .243 thermal gun. I really want to try both Sierra 55gr Blitzkings and the 60gr Varminter HPs. Unfortunately, both of these bullets have been impossible to get for the last two years. I stumbled into some of the cutting edge bullets online. They are crazy expensive, but I do like the idea of how they shed the six blades but the back half stays together. I’m looking at the 60gr Raptor extended range. They are an all copper bullet. Does anyone have any experience with these? I know that a .243 isn’t really fur friendly, but how are the bullets on fur? I may try a box of these if anyone has had any good experience with these?

I would almost just load more of a ‘deer bullet’ & accept a pass-thru in may cases. I realize one can’t use the 243 in IL for deer hunting, maybe another state you go to.

There may be some value in a prime coyote pelt, often that’s not the case though.

The ‘deer bullet’ could be an 85 grain gameking, or similar.

I have used them exclusively in my .243for 3 years until the ammo crunch and the 77 gr MTH performance was great. Three yotes out of 4 in my avitar were strait on complete pass throughs( partner shot on with his .204). I tried the 55gr esp raptors (brass) and had kills but didn’t care for performance in some situations so stuck with copper 77s in my 1/10 RRA Pred HP.
For my both I used the same but use factory loads as not to deplete my reloading stock.

In my .223 Savage I use the 60gr ER Raptors and those perform outstanding at 2900 fps.

Last edited:
Here's a commercial I did for them years ago that was still airing on the Pursuit channel... We had awesome success with them, BUT they are a bit more finicky than jacketed rounds. Ours laid the hammer, and had minimal fur damage.

I may just have to try a box of the 6mm 60gr Raptors just to see how they group. Man they are spendy, but I’m not sure if I will ever be able to get Sierra Varminters or Blitzkings ever again. In the last two years, the only way I have found some is by overpaying on Gunbroker. At least the Cutting Edge bullets are available.

I've loaded the 35 gr Shock hammers and the 45 grain controlled Chaos for a 223 with 1:12 twist. Both shot well accuracy wise although the 45 CC is not recommended for a 1:12. No results on game.

Back