Using a Thermal for Mushroom hunting

killahog

Well I was skeptical heard about this but I found a Morrell at my place and went and picked up the Hogster 35 set it up on white hot and discovered it actually does work. The mushrooms stand out as Bright white. I don't think one can scan an entire woods for them but definitely works for peering thru the briars.

Last edited:
Is there a reason a Morel mushroom would be "hotter" than surrounding vegetation? It would be great to have another seasonal use for my scanner. Only TicToc videos and I don't toc. I think we are close here, a couple sunny days and I will be out.

Last edited:
From what I understand the fungus is cooler than the ambient temperature and that is the reason for using the white/Black settings in the thermal.

Last edited:

I'm wondering if the subject title is wrong.......

"Using Mushrooms For Thermal Hunting"
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757
I'm wondering if the subject title is wrong.......

"Using Mushrooms For Thermal Hunting"
lol.gif

HAHAHA that is a good one!

Sorry in advance for the long read lol...I have a few questions regarding this topic... Was it daylight when you checked with thermal? If so what time of day was it and what were the ambient conditions like? Was the sun shining in that spot at the time you checked it? Also what resolution and magnification is your scanner?

Full disclosure I have not had a chance to try it after locating any with my eyes. I've tried a few times with my Nox 18 (640 res and 1x base mag) and had no luck. If the sun is shining through the trees and warming the ground it seems like i have too much image detail but I could be wrong. Maybe it's because there where none where and when I was trying it!! Lol but was in spots where I typically find quite a few. Thanks in advance for any input.

Some research SEEMS to suggest some mushrooms MAY actually be slightly cooler than ambient air temps. But only a couple degrees, not sure if average hunting thermal would see the difference. So white hot NOT going to produce a lighter image than surrounding vegetation. And of course, really unable to see thru dense trees/shrubs.

Back