Questions on Primers

champ198

I'm still pretty new with reloading for rifles.
I used to have a 7mm Rem Mag and at the time I was acquiring loading components for it. So I have about 800 Large Magnum Rifle primers.
With the slim availability to get primers now am I able to use them in place of a normal Large Rifle primer?

Again I'm still new with reloading rifles but I always just assumed they were for Magnum calibers only.

Start at minimum loads and work up. If you have access to a chronograph this is a great time to utilize it. Federal 215’s are know to be the hottest magnum primers so if yours are such keep that in mind. See if you can trade someone in your area for the primers you need.

Use 'em and rock on.

Also, Google "magnum primers in a 7 mag", and you'll find plenty of reading to occupy a couple hours......

Originally Posted By: GofaaastStart at minimum loads and work up. If you have access to a chronograph this is a great time to utilize it. Federal 215’s are know to be the hottest magnum primers so if yours are such keep that in mind. See if you can trade someone in your area for the primers you need.

Indeed start low and work up your Loads with the Magnmum Primers . If you have access to Sierria's Reloading data (5th edition) they give fed 215 in the load data for their receipes. but there again everyone will say to use the starting loads to check for pressure.which is wise.

I have had good luck with IMR4064 215 primers and 140grs bullets. good accuarcy, deer DRT. My Son still uses this load for his deer hunting when i handed him that rem 700, dies etc to roll his own.

here is a link to sierria's newer publish data for that cartridge which includes the newer powder and bullets for the 7 mag. (they changed to Winchester Mag Primers for the data)

https://sierrabullets.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/7mm-remington-magnum2.pdf

But one Can use Plain Large Rifle Primers by using powders that are normally used for say the 30-06/ 308.
What is the real differance is the primers ability to ignite the charge. given a couple of varibles 1. amount in the case (relativilive to the powers burn rate), 2. and ambient temperture. Again work up the loads everytime you change a componet. not only are the magnum primer "hotter" they have a thicker cup.

over the years I have used LRP and Mag LRP in loads in that and other cartriges.

for a visualation of primers see here https://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html

another link cncerning primers
https://carolinafirearmsforum.com/index.php?threads/the-primer-on-primers.77416/

and another discussion from across the pond
http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=1471

Last edited:
Wow thank you all so much.
That helps a ton. Makes me now have more primers than I originally thought now which makes me feel much better.

thumbup.gif

Hope that Helps you.

In warm climates I would have no isses using LRP.

Cold or right at freezing temps I would lean towards the Magnum primers for positive ignition. Others may have other thoughts.

Usually with large rifle, powder charges over 60 grains call for mag primers. I agree in colder weather you could see lower velocity variation, especially with ball powder. Sometimes light taper crimps after bullet seating can also help. I have used lr mag primers in my 22-250, testing loads. Also in my 30TC because a slightly compressed load of a slower powder increased velocity to near Hornady published data. A chronograph is very useful when making component substitutions, always work up from starting loads.

Theres a lot of people who prefer Magnum primers in non-magnum cases for the consistency they offer in ignition. Generally lower SD's too. You can use them without issue but like everything else, start low and work up.

A lot of people will tell you they generate higher pressures, but I have not found that to be the case. That being said, better safe then sorry. Start at minimum powder charge.

I recently experimented with Magnum small pistol primers in 9mm with a 124 gr Jacketed bullet and found I was able to be 15% over max with zero pressure signs and finally hit my target velocity.

Originally Posted By: Zastava223rem
A lot of people will tell you they generate higher pressures, but I have not found that to be the case.

I recently experimented with Magnum small pistol primers in 9mm with a 124 gr Jacketed bullet and found I was able to be 15% over max with zero pressure signs and finally hit my target velocity.

If it's not by higher pressure how do you explain the increased velocity?

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Zastava223rem
A lot of people will tell you they generate higher pressures, but I have not found that to be the case.

If it's not by higher pressure how do you explain the increased velocity?

I was 15% higher in Powder charge.

Book called for a MAX charge of 4.0 grs N320 loaded at 1.142 COAL with Jacketed FMJ RN.

I started at 3.6 and got a measly 800 and change.
Bumped up to 3.8 and was in the low 900's
Went to 4.0 and was still around 980.

I then seated them slightly deeper (1.135) and gained about 40 fps

Seated them back out to recommended and started working over max.

As a point of reference, I chronoed 5 rds of 124 gr Standard Pressure HST's from the same gun on the same day and was at about 1150 IIRC.

That is what I was trying to duplicate so I worked up changing NOTHING but powder charge and hit 4.6 grs with ZERO signs of pressure and got my target velocity of 1150 FPS from a 4" Glock 19.

Sure, there was more pressure in there, but not from the primers, it was simply from adding 15% more powder in the same space. To say the primers added anything would be an assumption at best since I did not test standard primers in the same exact brass with the same lot of powder and bullets in the same conditions.

It is worth noting that my velocity at book max with magnum primers was LESS than the books published velocity with that same charge and standard primers. That could be the difference in brass manufacture or tested barrel. I.E. I used a 4" Polygonal rifled barrel and they may have tested theirs using a 4" traditionally rifled barrel.

To Answer the OP's question, No I would not be scared to use magnum primers in ANY non magnum METALLIC case as long as you know what you are doing and what you are looking for. This does NOT reciprocate to shotguns as they are much more susceptible to very small changes in components including magnum vs non-magnum 209 Primers.

Back