Tikka 595 22-250

pyscodog

Whats it worth? Pretty nice shape but not mint. He says low round count but we all know how that goes. Has an old Redfield 3x9 scope which I give 0 value to. Nice walnut stock and varmint barrel in 22-250.

The guys asking $800 for it and came down $50 off original price. Everything I can find about the rifle are old posts and they are saying the rifle is worth around $600. Seems a little low but $800 sounds a little high.

Last edited:
I looked on GunBroker, Armslist and GunsAmerica and found nothing there either. Just did a plain old Google search and came up empty handed.

Its a nice rifle and I wouldn't mind having it. I just don't want to get in over my head on it. But its at a gun show, already figure its over priced to begin with.

Last edited:
Being a varmint barrel .22-250, I'd have to bore scope it if able when buying. I might look great but the throat might be gone.

Well, I have no way to check the bore other than visual being at the gun show. The seller claims its his son's rifle bought new and only 400 rounds down the barrel. I will probably go back today but doubt I will buy the rifle unless I can get the price down. I'm thinking $800 is on the extreme high side even though its a nice rifle. Then again I may shoot him an offer like the stealers offer me and see if he bites. LOL! Last day of the show so he might if he wants to sell it.

So in my experience the older Tikka rifles (pre-T3 and T3X) have some excellent wood and are excellent shooters. I gave one to my uncle in 7mm Rem Mag with absolutely beautiful wood (Model M695) and hes currently doing load development for it. It shot factory Berger bullets loaded by Federal in their Premium line into 1/3".

Price wise, these tend to command a higher premium than one might think. $800 is originally what I was selling that rifle for before I gave it to my uncle. I also had its twin in .2506 that was almost as nice. Had a little hunting wear and a $100 Athlon scope. Sold that rifle for about $800 i believe, maybe $850? Cant remember specifically.

If the barrel isnt smoked and the wood is nice, talk him down to $750 and rest assured you got a great deal. Those varmint models are much harder to find and it wont take long to find a good shooting load.

Below is a photo of the 7mm my Uncle now owns. It had some of the nice wood you will ever see on a factory gun and nicer than a lot of the Sakos I have seen.
alENiEk.jpg

I went back today and looked the rifle over again. After some haggling and let him keep the scope, I got it for $750. I didn't want the scope anyway so no big deal there. I got it home, pulled the bolt and ran a wet patch down the barrel. Surprisingly it came out clean. Figured that was a fluke so I started a cleaning process. No major fouling and no copper. Maybe I got lucky. There is a small amount of blueing wear on the muzzle kinda to be expected but the finish looks pretty good. Stock is nicely figured and no bumps or bruises. I checked the twist and its a standard slow twist but that's fine with me as I like Hot Rods and I'll be shooting light bullets anyway. Trigger breaks like glass at 2 pounds but I can fix that to. All in all, looks like a solid rifle. Maybe I got lucky. The guy is a local coyote hunter and seemed honest enough but we all know how that goes. Its mine now so all I can do is hope for the best.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotyou have an illness. not saying it's a terminal type illness, but still an illness. lol

Because I like guns and have a little extra money???????
wub.gif
No Ol' lady to tell me I can't either. Bills are paid, gas in my tank and a freezer full of deer meat. AND a man cave full of nice rifles. I'd really call it an addiction rather than an illness. But it sure beats setting in a bar or snorting something up my nose.

I forgot to say I sold a rifle yesterday and used the $$ to buy the Tikka and still came home with a few hundred left over. I'm not complaining. Did I need it? Nope, have two 22-250's already. But when did need matter? LOL

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGPics?

If it hasn't been shot hot, it should be a good rifle. All of the Model 95's I've been around have been excellent shooters. You don't see too many floating around used because of that.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI've tried pics on here and just don't get the hang of it.

Try Imgur. It's about as easy as it gets.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI went back today and looked the rifle over again. After some haggling and let him keep the scope, I got it for $750. I didn't want the scope anyway so no big deal there. I got it home, pulled the bolt and ran a wet patch down the barrel. Surprisingly it came out clean. Figured that was a fluke so I started a cleaning process. No major fouling and no copper. Maybe I got lucky. There is a small amount of blueing wear on the muzzle kinda to be expected but the finish looks pretty good. Stock is nicely figured and no bumps or bruises. I checked the twist and its a standard slow twist but that's fine with me as I like Hot Rods and I'll be shooting light bullets anyway. Trigger breaks like glass at 2 pounds but I can fix that to. All in all, looks like a solid rifle. Maybe I got lucky. The guy is a local coyote hunter and seemed honest enough but we all know how that goes. Its mine now so all I can do is hope for the best.

Up until recently Sako/Tikka was known to twist slow for caliber.

1:11 for a lot of 30 Cals
1:10 for the .223 and .222s
1:14 for .22-250

My Model 85 SS Varmint is a 1:14 and shoots 50 gr Nosler BT in front of Varget and a BR2 primer extremely well. Sounds like you will have a nice shooter. I am jealous lol

I got a box of 50 grain Noslers setting on my bench right now. My 22-250AI really likes 52 grain Bergers. I may try those as well.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI've tried pics on here and just don't get the hang of it.

Same here. Other sites it's so easy and here you have to store your pictures on a third-party site. After the photo bucket fiasco, I have given up posting photos on this site.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGOriginally Posted By: pyscodogI've tried pics on here and just don't get the hang of it.

Same here. Other sites it's so easy and here you have to store your pictures on a third-party site. After the photo bucket fiasco, I have given up posting photos on this site.

I use Imgur. Works pretty well. Only thing easier would be directly downloading to PM.

A member on another forum told me my rifle is a Tikka Master Continental. I did get to shoot it Tuesday afternoon. I took 20 rounds loaded with 52 grain Bergers and CFE 223 powder. I had 4 loads, 5 of each. The largest 5 shot group @ 100yds was a .504. I believe I got a shooter. My only negative is the mag is so short. I can touch the lands easily with just about any bullet and have plenty in the case neck but they won't fit in the mag so it makes OAL a little shorter than I would like. But, the rifle doesn't seem to mind the jump so I guess that doesn't matter.

Back