6mm 80g Nosler ballistic tips for coyotes, chucks

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI have some, never shot them. How do these perform on coyotes, chucks?

Wierd that I have never read of anyone using them.

I'll bet they result in death and destruction and Nosler BT's always seem to shoot extremely well. I shoot the 70gr BT's in my 20in 6CM and they pretty much just make one big hole.

Funny this thread should pop up, I was at a store yesterday that had 80 grain 6mm NBTs and I had no clue they even made them! I've not heard of one single person using them but I'm sure it would be a great bullet in something like 243 or CM.

The 80 grs are much less common than the 55, 70, 90 or 95 gr in the 6mm variety but I would imagine they would all perform similarly in the class they are built for

You will notice some are denoted as "Varmint" and some as "Hunting" meaning thin skinned big game. They did this because a lot of people were shooting deer with varmint bullets and giving them a poor reputation. Nosler engineering thickened the jacket and labeled them as "Hunting" so people knew they could safely be used on Whitetail and the like. IIRC the 80 gr is the heaviest "Varmint" BT they make in 6mm so probably not the best for larger game but it will poke a coyote just fine

I've shot coyote,bobcat,deer, and varmints with the 70's and 90's. Sometimes they aren't destructive and sometimes they blow things up as if a varmint stepped on a land mine. The 70's are WAY more destructive. The 90's ive backboned a few coyotes out of tree stands. It will put a coffee can size hole through them. No bone hit and both 70 and 90 grainers will put a bullet size hole in and out. Shot a deer with a 90 grainer this year. It dropped in its tracks and never flinched. I recovered the bullet on the off side hide after braking the edge of the shoulder bone. I posted a photo here last December on it. Depends if bone is hit going and or out how big the hole makes. All things shot with both drop like they were hit with Thor's hammer reguardless whether it makes a huge hole...or holes.

Here's the post on 90's

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...596#Post3286596

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI've shot coyote,bobcat,deer, and varmints with the 70's and 90's. Sometimes they aren't destructive and sometimes they blow things up as if a varmint stepped on a land mine. The 70's are WAY more destructive. The 90's ive backboned a few coyotes out of tree stands. It will put a coffee can size hole through them. No bone hit and both 70 and 90 grainers will put a bullet size hole in and out. Shot a deer with a 90 grainer this year. It dropped in its tracks and never flinched. I recovered the bullet on the off side hide after braking the edge of the shoulder bone. I posted a photo here last December on it. Depends if bone is hit going and or out how big the hole makes. All things shot with both drop like they were hit with Thor's hammer reguardless whether it makes a huge hole...or holes.

Here's the post on 90's

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...596#Post3286596

have you been able to correlate the damage level with distance to target at all? or is that unpredictable?

Distance makes no difference IMO. Hitting bone in or out will though. I’ve shot a bobcat a 5 yards with the 70 grainers. Caught the bottom of its heart and out low. Bullet sized hole in and out. Same day I called in a pair of coyotes to 20 yards. One in and out bullet sided hole broadside. Second one that came in to look at him. I hit and it dropped. Got up and started spinning. The second shot blew a double fist size hole in out of the lung area. Farthest shot was around 450 yards with a 70 grainer. Caught the bottom of the stomach and blew a coffee can sized hole in its stomach with about 5’ of intestines dragging. Chased it down and finished it off.

Last edited:
I just picked up 4 boxes to try in my 6CM. Hope it likes them, only been trying to get the 80s for past 2 years. Called nosler 1.5 to 2 years ago, they said they only showed 1 run being made within a whole year.

Back