New reloader question

ScottyP

Hello, longtime lurker, first time poster lol. I am new to reloading but have been hunting night yotes for years. I’m in the process of building a .243 AR10 for my new thermal gun. I will be reloading for it with a Lee Breachlock single stage. I hope to dial up a load with Sierra Varminter 60gr HPs, I do save some fur in the good ones. What type of die set would you all recommend? I was going to get some standard RCBS full length dies. Should I go with the AR set of shorter dies? I have read that I need to be crimping shooting the AR. Just curious what some of you guys are using?

I load all my AR’s with RCBS or Hornady full length dies. I don’t crimp and have never had a problem.

you shouldnt need a small base set of dies unless your brass is coming from suspicious locations and was fired in a nearly out of spec (oversize) chamber. a regular set of dies should suit your needs just fine.

re crimping: you shouldnt *need* to crimp, but if you find you have any bullet movement on chambering from insufficient neck tension, get ahold of a Lee Factory Crimp Die and use that as a separate step to crimp after the seating die. not that you cant roll crimp with the seating die, but if you set it up wrong - youre' gonna crunch some brass. The lee FCD is much easier to setup and utilize for this kind of application.

i use them on most of my calibers with just a light kiss (maybe 1/8 or so of a turn past making contact) to normalize the neck tension, even though i usually dont feel the need for it. but i have a progresive and its an easy set and forget die for the final station before they dump in the hopper.

just remember - if you're gonna crimp - make sure you do so during your load testing. Doing a load workup without it and then deciding after to put one in is a bad idea. you can potentially set yourself up for an over-pressure event (read KABOOM!) depending on just how much crimp you put on there.

hth

I have purchased 100 rounds of Nosler premium brass and 100 cases of Hornady brass. I have an extra little Lee basic singles stage I was thinking about using for depriming and crimping. The Lee factory crimp die is cheap so I will snag one. Sounds like I can just roll with the RCBS full length dies. I have Varget, H380, Superformance, CFE223, IMR 4895, and H335. I’m really hoping to find a decent load with the Sierra 60gr hps. We will see.

I have a set of 243 dies in the classifieds, just pulled my 243 barrel off and no longer need them. Have loaded very accurate ammo with these.

Redding FL sizing die
Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater
52035983562_d228c21a28_c.jpg

50538923522_f559dfa4a9_c.jpg

Back