53g Hornady BTHP for coyotes, anyone using these?

If it is the Hornady 53gr match HP they should perform identically to the 53gr Sierra MatchKing. Both bullets are constucted for match use and are very accurate. Both bullets hit to the same POI in my 223s. You may want to search out "53 SMK" or "53 Sierra HP" for more comments on this forum. A lot of people use them in the 22-250 and 22 Swift and like them fort coyotes. Not much info for the .223. I've only killed one coyote with the 53 SMK at about 75 yards with a Mini-14. I hit it diagonally through the mid chest and out the flank. He spun once, tumbled then ran about 40 yds and piled up. It had a 1.5" exit wound. Not a great shot but it did the trick. It was a big dog.
The match bullets might be a little hard for velocities less than the 223 but they seem to do well with faster speeds. Do the search and you'll probably get your answer.

Used them all the time in .220 swift when there used to be groundhogs.
Tried them in .223 for coyotes not so good pencil hole in pencil hole out. Runners alot.

Years ago, I shot coyotes with the Sierra 52 and 53 out of Rem 700's in 22/250, no problems.

The Berger 52's are super on coyotes.

I should section a Sierra 52 and a Hornady 53.

The Sierra 52 and 53 match are extinct.

Thanks for the input.

I'll 3rd it! Been using the 53gr Vmax in my 223, 223AI, and now 22-250 since they very first were introduced, shot a lot of 52gr Amax before that, and they've both been not only exceptional shooting bullets for me but they are my favorite coyote bullet in those cartridges as well.

I'd imagine those Hornady 53gr BTHP's would likely shoot well and if they shoot close to the same as the 52/53 gr SMK's then they'd certainly be a winner in the accuracy department because those little SMK's just flat always shoot. My only concern would be lack of expansion but maybe you could trim the meplat on them creating a little larger hole and that could possibly help them open up more consistently. If you're just punching paper or bangin steel then it really wouldn't matter though.

I see midsouth has a good deal on them. Match bullets made a believer out of me last winter. The 52 gr ELDM in my 22 nosler. They seemed harder when hitting steel. Never had a splash and they hit the ground.

My 223AI has a 9tw and my 22-250 is a 12tw so they work for me and I've read where some claim they can make the 53 Vmax shoot in their 14tw barrels. Maybe the true twist of their barrels is a little faster than 14 or they're at much higher elevation but you're correct those 53 Vmax typically do not shoot in 14tw barrels.

Originally Posted By: Dark moon 63I see midsouth has a good deal on them. Match bullets made a believer out of me last winter. The 52 gr ELDM in my 22 nosler. They seemed harder when hitting steel. Never had a splash and they hit the ground.

Those Hornady 52gr ELD-M, which I believe is the same bullet as the old 52gr A-Max but with the new heat shield tip, have been one of the best shooting and easiest to dial in bullets, particularly in 14tw barrels, of about any 22 cal bullet I've used. My dad and a friend of his both have identical Winchester Mod 70 Coyote Light 22-250's with 14tw factory barrels and they both shoot that 52gr A-Max/ELD-M extremely well.

Back