Which Bering battery extender?

204 AR

There's 3 out there that I see, and I kind of like the Apex 3d one that uses the factory cap and it's quite a bit cheaper, but I was curious if anyone had tried any of them.

In case you are not aware of this, any use of rechargeable, internal batteries in a Hogster, Vibe, or Yoter using CR123 or 16650 batteries are use at your own risk per Bering Optics. Bering will cover normal warranty items but if the batteries leak, catch on fire, explode etc, the damage caused by them will not be covered.

As for using them, I tested the one called the OEM one and the 3D Night Vision. I didn't try the Apex 3D one. The pros of both the 3D night vision and Apex 3d is they can utilize a larger variety of 16650 batteries.

For the OEM version, many of the protected 16650s are too long. I have used both Jesspower and Taken brand batteries with the OEM version, and they fit for me.

I believe all 3 of them have a place to put the existing cap so that is not unique to the 3D Apex version. The OEM version is the most expensive, but it also seems to be the smallest, and fits the nicest. I tried the 3D Night Vision one after I saw a video of him literally smacking with full force a number of times and the unit didn't shut off.

Night Goggles has chosen not to sell any of the three 16650 extenders as we do not feel right selling an accessory that we know is not covered by warranty. It frustrates me that there are dealers, manufacturers, and suppliers continuing to sell these without telling their customers the risk. I know there are lots of people using them, and they will be fine until something happens. Just know the risk. Before I would buy one, I would ask the company you buy it from if they will cover any thermal damage if something happens because of the rechargeable batteries. If they say yes in writing, then I wouldn't worry a lot about it. If they say Bering will cover it, this is not what Bering has told me, and I have asked numerous times.

I appreciate the warning, and the info. The oem and 3d do have a place for the cap, but the apex actually uses the cap, or so it appears. That seems, at first glance, like an asset, although it probably makes it a tad longer overall.

Also, be aware that the OEM cap has polarity protection built into it. The positive terminal in the cap has a barrier built around it that the positive nipple of the battery needs to protrude through in order to make contact and the retaining cord prevents you from putting the cover on backwards. The OEM extender has spring terminals that will make contact regardless of battery orientation. I can only speculate that installing 1 or both backwards might melt the batteries down or damage the electronics.

I ordered the one from Apex, complete with batteries and charger for $73 delivered. I'll report how I like it after I mess with it some.

So I got the apex3d battery extended yesterday and got it "installed", and in a word, it sucks. Batteries are very tight, to where you have to pry them out. What's worse, a little bump and it disconnects. I opened it up a little to where I can get batteries out, but that doesn't help the other problem. So I'm glad it's only 25 bucks, heck that's barely a gallon of gas now.

I may try one of the other two next.

Last edited:
Kirsch, you reported you tried the 3D Night Vision one but did not give your impression. What did you think of that one?

Originally Posted By: case-nhKirsch, you reported you tried the 3D Night Vision one but did not give your impression. What did you think of that one?
3D Night Vision Pros:
* Very Forgiving On 16650 Battery Lengths
* Extremely Tough
* Customer Service Was Very Good

3D Night Vision Cons:
* Feels Loose (but doesn't disconnect)
* Large and Bulky

3d Night Vision discovered something in their extenders they weren't happy after shipping their original order out. They sent an additional extender to everyone who got the first run to make sure they had the new one.

Apex3D: Cheapest

3D Night Vision: Bulkiest (I believe), medium price, extremely tough and tales lots of different batteries, and has +/- labeled on outside of cap

OEM - iRay Cap: Most expensive, fits nice and tight, restrictive on battery options as not as deep.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARSo I got the apex3d battery extended yesterday and got it "installed", and in a word, it sucks. Batteries are very tight, to where you have to pry them out. What's worse, a little bump and it disconnects. I opened it up a little to where I can get batteries out, but that doesn't help the other problem. So I'm glad it's only 25 bucks, heck that's barely a gallon of gas now. I may try one of the other two next. If the batteries barely fit due to length in the Apex3d, I would go with the one from 3D Night Vision as the OEM cap doesn't allow ones as long. If they are too tight in width, make sure you are using 16650s and not 18650s.

It came with batteries. So I emailed them, and they responded promptly that there is an issue with the latest run and they haven't figured it out but it sounds like they'll be replacing a bunch when they do.

I tried it on the r25 just now, and oddly enough it works perfectly. It will be a nice addition to that one as the external was kind of a pita on a small bolt gun.

I just wanted to update this, Apex promptly sent out another one, and it had the same issues. The first one works well enough for the R25 on the 17hmr, I definitely wouldn't want it on anything with recoil.

I received one from Michael Bartlett today, and it's in a whole different league. VERY well made, with deep springs in the top and metal clips to hold it on. The oem cap slips in a slot on the bottom to keep you from putting it on upside down. I don't see this one ever disconnecting during recoil. It does block the last digit on the rangefinder but you can't have everything I guess.

Back