Remington Model 7 in 222

beavdha

I seen a used Model 7 in 222 - would this rifle be a good calling rifle for coyotes and the rare fox? With the shorter barrel - does it affect accuracy?

Quote:
With the shorter barrel - does it affect accuracy?

Not at all, you may loose a few fps bullet velocity over a longer tube but not enough to worry about. I shoot a short action Rem 700 ADL in 222 with a factory 20" sporter weight barrel... Love it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have not shot any fox but I think you will find the 222 performs quite well on coyote sized animals if you use a good projectile and keep your shots under 250 yards.

I have a Model Seven in .223 and absolutely love it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I carry it all winter for coyote hunting. I've free floated the barrel, glass bedded the action and done simple adjustments to the trigger. It will easily shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards using Remington 55 grain SP factory loads. The .223 and .222 are very similar rounds - the .222 has a reputation for being even more accurate!

Are you sure that it's chambered in .222? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I had first looked at the Model Seven about 20 years ago in .223 and .243 - I don't remember it being chambered in .222 even back then..... Although you don't really want to trust my 55 year old memory! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

me!

342875.jpg

This varminting season, the fashionable huntress will be wearing vintage camo and Gortex boots from Cabela's, carrying a Remington Model Seven chambered in .223 and accessorize with a Johnny Stewart 612 call with remote! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Me,
Great looking rifle ya' got there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Love the fashion statement too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, they did chamber the 7's in 222...

Reference: The 20th Anniversary Edition, Blue Book of Gun Values (1999).

(snip)
Remington Model 7 Lightweight --- compact bolt action available in .17 Rem. (mfg. 1993-95), 222 Rem. (discontinued)*date not listed, apparently before 1999, 223 Rem., 243 Win., 260 Rem.(new 1997), 6mm Rem.(disc. 1995), 7mm-08 Rem., and 308 Win.
Specs: 18-1/2" barrel, 6-1/2 lbs., 4 or 5 shot mag., individually test fired, oil finished, American walnut, adj. front sight and ramp front sight (without sights on .17 Rem.). Mfg 1982 - present.

NOTE: These are outdated prices
In 1999 the Blue Book listed Mfg.'s suggested retail price (new in box) for a Model 7 @ $585.00
At the same time, a used rifle listed for:
100% grading: $475.00
90% grading: $225.00
60% grading (lowest listed): $165.00
Also when the book was published two calibers were bringing higher premiums, the 222 Rem. and .17 Rem. (Add 10% extra for 222 and 5 -10% for the .17).

-----------------------------------------------------
For the money, it sounds like that model 7/222 could be quite a find, if it's in good shape. The triple duce is not a barrel burner but even if the tube is gone, the model 7 (based on the 700 short action) can easily be rebarreled.

I find that description interesting.....
Especially their notation of the barrel length.....

I first shot the Model Seven back in about 1985 when a friend - who's only about 5'2" - wanted a rifle for deer hunting. She ended up buying a Model Seven in .243. Her first 3 shots at 100 yards all touched! Even back then, the standard barrel length was 20" although I know they also had a "carbine" version out for a while that had the 18 1/2" barrel. Rita's had the 20" barrel and walnut stock.

I've wanted a Model Seven in .223 ever since!
I finally got mine in blued/laminated about a year and a half ago.

Me wrote:
Quote:
Even back then, the standard barrel length was 20" although I know they also had a "carbine" version out for a while that had the 18 1/2" barrel.

Interesting! I thought I may have made a typing error but 18 1/2" is the only length barrel listed in that issue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif It could be a misprint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif The current Remington website does show their Model 7's with 20" barrels only. You got me, me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The barrel I seen I thought might be 18 1/2" it could be 20" - I was looking at other guns and just happened to walk by the used rack and seen the tag that said model 7 .222 - not sure what scope was on it. I'll try and make it back there tomorrow and see if they still have it. I'll take the tape measure with me too. How much energy - range and accuracy would you lose if it is a 18 1/2 barrel?

You wouldn't lose enough to worry about.

For example, on my .17 rem, the chart says factory ammo comes out at 4040. When I put mine on a chronograph, it read 3905. Not enough for me to worry about.

Whatever brand of rifle is chambered in the 222 you will love this round it is one of the most accurate and pleasant to shoot I love mine.

Hunter -

The reason I remember the barrel lengths so well.....

There had been an article in "Guns & Bullets" back in the mid-80's comparing the Model Seven and the Winchester 70 Featherweight. I remember that the biggest statistical difference quoted was barrel length - the Model Seven had a 20" barrel whereas the 70 Featherweight had a 22" barrel..... It was that article that had prompted me to suggest to Rita that she buy the Model Seven - they had given it a slight edge over the Winchester.

Shortly thereafter, I decided to get a bolt action .223. Although I had wanted the Model Seven, I ended up buying the 70 Featherweight because it was something like $100 less - and still an excellent rifle. I just never did like the feel of it as much as I liked Rita's Model Seven. Why, I can't really say... They were so close... The deciding factor could have been something as simple as the operation of the safety... The Seven was just more comfortable to me.....

I don't ever actually remember seeing a "new" Model Seven with the 18 1/2" barrel for sale althought I now see used ones available on occassion. I guess it must have been produced sometime during the period that I had stopped hunting - from the mid-90's to about 2 years ago.....

me!

I went back to the gun store (Olde English) and it's still there. The back sight is missing - it has an 18 1/2" barrel on it. It appears to be in pretty good shape - my old eyes can't see the rifling that well with the light shining from the receiver. It has a Bushnell sportview scope and I'm not sure what kind of base it's on - it's a one piece base - they are asking 375.00 for it. Don't know if that is a good price or not. Wood looks decent. Bluing ok - Near the safety looks to be some pitting.

I had to take the rear sight off my .223 blued Model Seven to fit a scope. The stainless version doesn't have sights.

I paid $425 (or was it $450?) for my 20" stainless/synthetic in 7mm-08 last spring; it was in "like new" condition.

I bough the .223 new for about $525.

I paid about $40 for Leupold bases and rings on each rifle. More for the scopes.

If the base has little knobs to attach the rear scope ring, it's a Leupold. That's what I have on both mine. They are very solid and secure - but getting that rear ring centered the first time is a pia. If I buy another Model Seven, would I put the Leupold base on it? "Yes!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif One thing I really like is that the base is held in place with torx-head screws and they supply a small wrench just big enough to put the proper torque when you're installing them!

That .222 sounds like a very fair deal to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

me!

337452.jpg

Back