Leupold 6.5x20

soup

Gents,
Just bought a VX III 6.5X20X40mm with side focus. It is in excellent plus condition from original owner with box and instructions.
I'd like to hear from anyone that has personal experience, both pro and con.
I'm going to mount it on a Ruger No.1 Varminter with heavy barrel in .22-250 Remington.
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Semper Fi,
Soup

I have a 6.5-20x40 side focus fine duplex in the VX-3i edition. I use it on my 204 for shooting groundhogs. Works great for shooting smaller targets that can be further out, it would not be my choice for calling coyotes. All of my rifles are scoped with some form of Leupold. I have never had any issues with any Leupold to need their warranty service.

Got a Vx3i same setup, not an issue. Works good for me. Only one i had issues with was the LRP model that had a very spotty eye relief. Not a fan of those models.

Punching paper, and groundhogs. It's a little heavy for my 70+ year old frame to carry. But I would use it on yotes on the farm.
Soup

I think it’ll serve you very well for that. As mentioned before, that’s basically what I use mine for. I wouldn’t use it primarily for coyotes here where I hunt because of the higher magnification and lower field of view. The one I have has capped standard turrets instead of the target turrets, and I don’t dial my turrets once set, so I can’t comment on the return to zero ability. When I was lining it up, the point of impact moved according to the adjustments I made though.

I’ve had good experiences with Leupold in the various models I own including VX-1, VX-2, VX-3, VX-3i, UltimateSlam, and Mark AR MOD 1. The only model Leupold I’ve owned and didn’t really care for is the freedom line and it was basically because of looks more than function. In my opinion the last editions they made of the VX-2 and VX-3 models were the best of all the ones I’ve owned. I’ll buy a good used one of those before buying a new one.

Maybe to expand upon my previous comment, mine is mounted up to a Mini Mauser .223 Rem and is a great scope. I do dial the turrets on occasion but not often. That said, cant speak on how durable the tracking is but it works good for me. Here is the rifle and a group shot with that scope mounted on it
heEwxMP.jpg

53e9zOT.jpg

Thank you to all for your personal input.
Should anyone have anything to add please do so.
Ive got my hands full with my, so far, 2 problem children. A Ruger No.1a in .243 Winchester and the No.1V .22-250 with the heavy barrel.

To all the fellows whose Mom is still with them please extend a Happy Mothers Day to them .
Semper fi
Soup

Back