Hotel Costs for upcoming hunt

Al Hansen

Just contacted our usual hotel and they wanted a increase of 50% per night over last year. Ouch. Start saving your money it's going to cost a lot to do a 10 -12 day hunt. Primer, bullets, powder, gas and now hotels.

That's a shame, a lot of stuff is getting out of reach. Everything is going up except my income.

I fear the "good old days" of American consumerism are past. At some point, people will have no choice but to tighten their belts and do without non-essentials.

Time to become self sufficient. 12 days in a hotel might just pay for a camper and there are plenty of free or low cost camping.

I use these for free camping.

freecampsites.net

campendium.com

Last edited:
Good news . We booked a hotel that we use to use several years ago at the same price as last year. The hotel we used last year wouldn't budge. Game on !!!

I rent a cabin with no water, the facilities are right across the lawn, very nice. It’s been $50 a night, maybe inch up this year. We don’t hang there much anyway

airbnb's/vrbo are getting the same way.

covid taught them that they're providing more amenities than typical hotels, and most of the hosts have started charging accordingly and stopped trying to undercut the hotels on the cost per night. the cleaning fee's alone have gotten redonkulus. often $120 or more.

i used to use them a lot for short term business travel. but they've priced themselves right out of the market for that. they're still reasonably affordable for lets say a week long+ family vacation type of thing - but you gotta have a few bodies there to make it truly cost per guest affordable.

ive had to travel for work over 13 times this year alone, and in the past i would have airbnb'ed almost exclusively for two people. i have a huge rental history with them for that. these days its right to holiday inn express, and i'm still coming in under what the price of a 2 bed airbnb costs, usually before even any cleaning fees are added too.

im seriously considering like AWS mentioned, saving up and getting a popup for hunting/fishing and other outdoors recreational travel usage. just Waiting for the horde of the indoors-turned-suddenly-outdoors folks who bought them all the last 2 years with their stimmy checks to realize its just collecting space in their yard/driveway now that they've been forced back to reality (work, kids in school, etc) and start to sell them off.

Back