Scanners ?

Pa. Mick

Hey guys I’m interested in looking for a new scanner. I would like your opinions on what you use and your likes, dislikes & what would you buy now !!
I’m thinking maybe going to a helmet mount but they look quite pricey to me. Suggestions ??

Mick, I am using the Bering Optics Phenom 640 on a helmet. The helmet is from Hard-Headed Vets, but I also used the Phenom on a Crye Precision Night Cap. The mount is nothing fancy just using a Norotos II with an aluminum plate attached to it. Here is a picture of the setup.

IMG_0724 by Double Up, on Flickr

Actually there is a small rectuangular aluminum plate that extends out the front of the Norotos which Paul McNamara made up for me years ago to use the Pulsar HD19A helmet mounted. It is drilled and tapped to move the monocular out a little farther. I then made up an aluminum mount to specifically fit the Phenom so that it would line up with my eye. I also made a copy for my hunting partner who is using the Phenom and it worked for him with no problem.

IMG_0726 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is a side view of the mount.

IMG_0725 by Double Up, on Flickr

Obviously there isn't any expense involved for the mount other than making it up from scrap aluminum and the Norotos II isn't all that expensive either. Cost of helmets varies a lot obviously. Here is a picture with the Phenom folded back on top.

IMG_0723 by Double Up, on Flickr

Should you decide you're interested in a cheap alternative, I'll break it down and show you the individual pieces and scale on size. Works for me very well. Here is some video of a bobcat taken from the Phenom helmet mounted.

I have been running a hogster 25 to scan and see no reason to upgrade. Detects flying squirrels at past known 250y and coyotes past 600 from ridge to ridge in my hill country.

You might give the Iray mini 19 a look. I bought one in February. I upgraded the eyepiece to the available PVS 14 made for the mini 19 and mini 25. Game changer for me.

Mick,
I've got the N Vision Nox 35. It is the best scanner that I have ever personally used, but pricey. It has a reticle and rifle mount so it can be used as a scanner or a scope. The reticle can be disabled and the mount can be removed. It also has a removable dovetail mount for helmet mounting. IMO the 35mm is a little big for a helmet mount. They make the same unit in 18mm. That one is what most guys are using for a helmet mount. It is pretty much the same size as a PVS 14.
I would buy the Nox 35 again, no regrets after I got over the sting of the price tag.

I tried to go the helmet mount route and it did not work for me. The scanner got in the way when I tried to get down on the rifle scope if that makes sense. Ideally you would turn it off and flip it up on the helmet before you get on the scope but I just could not get all that done in time to get on a hard charging coyote. For spot and stalk or bait pile hunting I can see where it would be good though and if that was what I was doing I would go with the helmet mount. Some guys can make it work for calling but I just could not figure it out. Maybe if I was younger with better reflexes it would have worked.

Back